Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows installer problem

• Please log in to reply

BowieCurry

BowieCurry

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I booted up the other day I got a message: can't find c:\windows\Msiexec.exe". I found out that this is the windows installer so I downloaded and installed "Windows installer 3.1" In the process I discovered that Msiexec.exe is supposed to be in the System32 folder of windows and not the main Windows directory. To try to get rid of the error message looking for the file in the Windows root directory, I copied the file from System32 where the installation package installed it to Windows Root directory. The error message is gone but now I have a box that comes up in it's place listing all of the parameters for Msiexec.exe. Also, I understand that after you install the windows installer you have to "register" it through "run" in safe mode. I don't know how to do that. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Bowie

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the setup routine registers the files, so that is less a concern

The questions I am having is:

what did you install just before this began?

what version is msiexec.exe and where is it now?
when you installed msinstaller, had you previously installed an earlier version (if so, what one) and is it possible you installed the one for win98/me?

BowieCurry

BowieCurry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Gerry...

If my memory serves me right, I believe Norton Antivirus came up identifying it as a virus. It suggested I delete it which I did not knowing what it was. I did a virus scan and found "MyDoom" and let Norton deal with that. Is it possible that a virus could have attached itself to msiexec.exe?

The version of Msiexec.exe is 3.1 and is in both the Windows root directory [Windows] and System32.

I believe the version for 98 an ME is 2.0. The only version I installed was 3.1 from the Microsoft site.

Thanks for the help!

Bowie