Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Vista cant start up

• Please log in to reply

thepredestrian

thepredestrian

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all

appreciate any help I can get. I have a Toshiba Satellite Windows Vista laptop. When I switch it on, it goes to this screen with the loading bar that says "Microsoft Corporation" at the bottom and it just stays there loading (forever)

I forced shut it down and tried again, and the com prompted me to select "system repair" (recommended) or "start windows normally", so I selected "system repair", but after a few minutes of loading they couldnt find anything wrong. I clicked finish and the com shut down. The thing is, when I start it up again, the same thing happens (when I select the option "start windows normally")

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Cheers

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
Hi thepredestrian :D sorry to hear you are having this trouble.
Possible causes may be a corrupt OS or a failing HDD.
Do you have either the Vista disk that came with the laptop or were recovery disks provided?
I would suggest that if you have important data on the HDD that you remove the HDD for safe
keeping until you can obtain an external USB HDD enclosure in order to copy your data across
to another computer, something like this will do http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817729011
or if you needed to purchase one and keep it for the future this one http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182221
as it does both laptop and desktop HDDs.

thepredestrian

thepredestrian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi philpower2 thank you for your reply.

Yes youre right its a failing HDD, as diagnosed by my technician. Fortunately, Im still covered under warranty, so replacement will be free.

Thank you so much!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
You are welcome, I am happy to hear it is covered by warranty and thank you for letting us know what it was :D