Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lockups and BSOD's

• Please log in to reply

greenman19

greenman19

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi.
Been having a few problems recently, whereby after a few minutes of gaming my laptop will either:
Freeze, forcing me to turn it off via the power button.
Freeze, displaying green or blue vertical bars.
Shutdown.
BSOD.

With the BSOD error, I think it was "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
Using the windows debugger thing, it also refers to the driver atikmdag.sys, this is the most common.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling quite a few ATI drivers now, some with the whole CCC package and others which were just the display driver only.
I also sometimes get these crashes when just browsing or listening to music from the desktop. I don't think it's overheating, as the day before these crashes began I was able to game for quite a while.

I also just had a BSOD on boot which referred to tcpip.sys.

Note: I do not crash in power saver mode, but that doesn't work as it's too slow to do anything.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Bump

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Bump 3, lol.
Did some testing with Prime95 today, got CPU temps up to 85/86C with no troubles, at time of last crash cpu temp was 72/74 (Usually the max it reaches when gaming. GPU Temp is almost always at 59/61C at time of crash)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Who crashed log:

On Sun 05/12/2010 14:59:27 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini120510-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x61D10)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x28B8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFA0464D10)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Strange, WinDBG refers to atikmdag.sys.
VEW gives me a runtime error when trying to use it. :c

Posted Image

I already have speedfan and GPU-Z for temps, Speedfan doesn't really work with my laptop as it only displays one bit of info which is the core temp.

Posted Image

Thanks for the reply mate, appreciate you trying to help me. :D

Note: GPU-Z reports GPU Fan Speed never goes above 30%, possible driver problem causing problem when trying to increase it?

Edited by greenman19, 07 December 2010 - 04:03 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished

Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on the Motherboard directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply
On the left side click on the Sensors directory and then on the rightcopy and paste in your next reply]

http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks again, couldn't copy sensors so I uploaded a screenie.

Property Value
Manufacturer Quanta
Model 3060
Version 19.17
Serial Number None

North Bridge AMD 780G Revision 00
South Bridge AMD SB700 Revision 00

CPU AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-74
Cpu Socket Socket S1 (638)

System Slots 3 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 8192 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

Posted Image

Not really sure if I found anything in event viewer, here's some info from some errors on one of the days though.

"The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
SysTool"

"The AMD External Events Utility service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."

"The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Win 7 located HERE.
These instructions should be the same for Vista.
Let me know if it finds and repairs anything.

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I only recently did a chkdisk via cmd prompt, it turned out ok. Just finished a BIOS memory test by the way, which passed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

Based on the above did you recently update a driver on your system before this issue started?
You said you ran a bios memory test but I would like to test it with a program we use a lot here.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Advertisements

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Looks a little complex for me, lol. I have 2 X 2048 RAM modules, I think. I downloaded memtest earlier this week and ran it, inside the OS. It also showed no errors (If I used the right one of course)
In answer to the drivers thing, I installed the new sound driver for my laptop from the HP site, and also I believe a new ATI one (Maybe). I uninstalled and installed the old ones but it didn't fix the problem. Like I said, I'm pretty sure this is software/driver related, I just have absolutely no clue how to fix it. :c

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:

 Click Start and then to All Programs
 Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
 Click on System Restore
 A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
 Then click on Next
 Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
 Then click Next
 On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
 Close all open programs and click Next
 The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
 Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly then please reply back with the results.

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
System restore was one of the first things I tried. It always fails with an unspecified error, same thing happens when I do so in safe mode.
Thanks for the continued advice, once again, much appreciated. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Right click on My Computer
Go to Properties
Click on Hardware Tab
You should be in Device Manager now. Are there any yellow exclamation marks or red X's?

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
None of either.