Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lockups and BSOD's

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to Device Manager
Open the Display Adapters
Right click on the installed adapter and then click on Uninstall
Make sure you have the 9.3 driver already and then reboot. When it goes to find the driver have it look where you saved the 9.3 driver.

Advertisements

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I'll try that. Last time I did an uninstall via device manager it just reinstalled the old one straight after uninstalling, like an automatic undo.

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Done that, to no avail. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK at this point you may be looking at a failing video card.
Get me another screenshot of your current Device Manager please.
Please Go to

1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
It'll be sent off tomorrow by the way, hopefully HP will fix it.
Posted Image

Also, my game didn't crash when playing off the battery in high performance mode. This means either the PSU is at fault or that the battery cannot perform well enough on it's own to do whatever is happening that crashes the comp. Most likely the latter.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A battery is only good for up to 4 hours of normal use. Gaming is not normal and can run a battery down a lot faster.
From what I can see in your Device Manager the video driver is working perfectly.
I see no other issues with any other drivers either so I can say with almost complete confidence this is not a driver issue. :D

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
So it's either a faulty GPU or PSU?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm leaning toward PSU as the issue since the video shows no issues as far as the driver is concerned.
Run another Speedfan and lets see what it is showing.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I went back through the whole topic and I still feel the main issue is the botched recovery installation.
I just can't see anything else as the problem and even with it the drivers are all showing good and working.
The problem then has to be the OS itself.
Speedfan is worthless as it is not showing anything.
Lets try a online scanner and see what it suggest as the issue.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. At WTT we prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Advertisements

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks, long post :3
Just to note, the laptop is running on power saver mode (Throttles CPU performance and ATI Power Play settings are enabled) so I don't know if that'll affect anything.
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24069089

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK well some interesting and not surprising results from PC Pitstop I see.
First lets work on the OS stuff I see by starting HERE
According to the results you have SP1 installed for your OS and it needs to be upgraded to SP2. Follow the link to update it.
After that is done go HERE and you will see 4 autoruns that need to be stopped.
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything the list shows on the above link and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Post back with the results

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When done with the above please do the following again.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Now after all this we will then start to look at the other issues the scan showed. :D

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Done all that, doing the defrag now. No problems have showed up.

Done.
Disk Size 286.95 GB
Free Space Size 246.70 GB
Clusters 75221247
Sectors per cluster 8
Bytes per sector 512
Started defragmentation 12/16/2010 9:46:27 PM
Completed defragmentation 12/16/2010 9:52:57 PM
Elapsed time 00:06:30
Total Files 125612
Total Directories 20200
Fragmented Files 2816
Defragmented Files 2816
Skipped Files 0
Fragmentation Before 5.82% |||
Fragmentation After 0.00%

Edited by greenman19, 16 December 2010 - 04:06 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All the steps from post 102 done first I hope. :D
Ran TFC first and then did the defrag ;)