Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New graphics card, PC won't POST....

• Please log in to reply

DjFonti

DjFonti

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello all.

I have recently done a few upgrades on my PC. It is an Acer T180.

I wanted to change the graphics card so I bought a new PSU as the stock on was only 250w.

I got a Corsair CMPSU-400CXUK. I've installed it, along with an additional HDD and it all works fine.

However, when I plug in the new graphics card, a HP Nvidia 1GB GT220, and power on, the GPU fans go full tilt and make quite a noise, but there is no signal to the monitor and no POST....the PC just sits there with the GPU fans whizzing away and HDD/DVD lights flashing on and off.

The motherboard is an Acer EM61SM/EM61PM, on BIOS R01-B4.

My old card is a PCI-Express card (ATI Firegl 5100) and that works fine.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong and how I could remedy this?

I appreciate any help.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If your old card works good and with the new one you get no video then i would suspect the new card is defective.

If your card is new and still under warranty then i would take it back and replace it.

DjFonti

DjFonti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi and thanks for the reply.

I have tried various things. Booting with only one stick of RAM, disconnecting other peripherals and booting etc and no change. Updated BIOS and also no change.

What I noticed is that Windows does eventually boot after about thirty seconds and you do hear the POST bleep. However, no video is output.

I am going to look to return the card and try a different one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Did you install the drivers for the new card and uninstall the drivers for the ATI Firegl 5100 before trying the new card.

DjFonti

DjFonti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I didn't uninstall the drivers for the old card, no. I tried to install the drivers for the new card but as it didn't detect any new hardware (as I hadn't installed it yet) it didn't proceed with the installation.

Maybe there is a problem with the card being PCI 2.0? Perhaps the motherboard PCI-E slot is 1.0, I have heard that sometimes this causes problems....but I don't know the version of the motherboard slot.

Edited by DjFonti, 07 December 2010 - 04:45 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I didn't uninstall the drivers for the old card, no. I tried to install the drivers for the new card but as it didn't detect any new hardware (as I hadn't installed it yet) it didn't proceed with the installation.

Save the drivers for the new card on your desktop, uninstall the previous drivers or it may cause a conflict (possibly what has already happened) shut down the system fit the new card and re-boot the computer and that should do it.

Maybe there is a problem with the card being PCI 2.0? Perhaps the motherboard PCI-E slot is 1.0, I have heard that sometimes this causes problems....but I don't know the version of the motherboard slot.

Whilst this can be a problem occasionally I don`t think it is common, I cannot say with a 100% certainty that all modern GFX cards are backwards compatible but someone else may be able to shed some light on it.

DjFonti

DjFonti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Many thanks for the replies Phil.

I have since returned the GPU and gone for a lower end model. Having researched it, on that specific card, it is known to have problems with older motherboards (which mine is)....apparently it is a VBIOS issue that can be resolved but is reliant on manufacturers issuing updates. The guy I bought it from said it worked fine when he received it.

My new card, thankfully, works fine....but now I'm having other problems!

Thanks again though.