Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

extra administrator I didn't add

• Please log in to reply

kelkay

kelkay

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I had a clean computer, and put in a brand new wireless router, with adapter. About 2 days later I found I had a trojan. I deleted the trojan, and rechecked, it was gone. So then I updated flash player, and java. I then did another scan, this time it showed 2 trojans in D: restore, and 3 in java, and flash player...the updates I just did. I checked them before installing with Kaspersky. Kaspersky showed no virus. Well I went into safe mode and I found I had not just my main HP Administrator account(it has password), but there was another administrator account showing. On the welcome screen there was just one administrator. I decided to click into the regular Administrator account, and sure enough it let me right in. This just doesn't seem right. I did a complete factory settings restore not that long ago. I have a new hard drive on it. On the welcome screen now there is a guest account, and I never put that in either. I just had the one HP Administrator and that is it. So I restarted and looked at the welcome screen to see if that extra admin was there, no. But now there is a guest account that I never added on it. Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I am afraid someone has hacked into my computer via my wireless router.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

These are standard accounts on an XP Home computer. Generally by default the Administrator account is enabled with no password, but hidden - only visible when logging in from Safe Mode.

In my opinion, it would be best to login to the Administrator account again (in safe mode) and create a secure password for it that you will remember. Then disable the Guest account.

Also a good idea to change your main user account password while you are at it.

Cheers

Troy

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
That sounds like a winner to me, thank you Troy!!!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:D