Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build has crashed !

• Please log in to reply

Daire McCormack

Daire McCormack

• Pip
  • 9 posts
When I first turned on the computer I received a warning saying “chassis intrusion detected" so I examined all cables (everything was fine) and rebooted the system. I did not receive this warning again. The computer booted it up, I configured and updated the BIOS and installed windows successfully. I managed to browse the internet, download drivers and updates etc. without any problems. I also obtained a windows experience score and all components were detected successfully.

I then tried to play games on the computer (Starcraft 2) and within several seconds the display and sound crashed, power was still running as the led and fans were still on. I restarted the computer and tried another game (Crysis) and again the crash occurred, however this time power completely shut off.

I have since been unable to turn on the computer. I have removed all non-essential components (graphics card, sound card etc.) but the system will not turn on. There is power going into the motherboard as the motherboards power and reset switches light up but the computer will not turn on. I have checked that all system panel connector cables, power cables etc. are installed correctly.

It seems to me that some component in the motherboard (fuse maybe) is gone as it will no longer turn on or even power the fans. I have also checked that the graphics card is functioning.

Anyone thinks it could be a hardware problem (and if so which component) or something I did wrong in the build ?

Any input would be appreciated, Thanks.

Advertisements

Daire McCormack

Daire McCormack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry forgot to include my system specs: Intel i7 950 3.1 GHz, Radeon HD 5970, Corsair Dominator 6GB 1600MHz, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Western Digital 2TB HD, Corsair H70 Cooling, CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower Case, Sound Blaster Audigy 7.1.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Don't know if this will work but give it a try.

1. Restart your machine
2. Enter BIOS by pressing DEL (most of the time)
3. Scroll down to 'System Security'
4. Press Enter
5. Scroll down to Chassis Detection
6. Arrow over to 'Disabled'
7. Press Escape
8. Save changes and exit

Let me know if it worked. :D

Daire McCormack

Daire McCormack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the help but I cant get into the BIOS because the computer wont boot :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since the fans won't turn even a little then that would indicate either MOBO or PSU.
When you turn on the system does any of the fans.. CPU, Second Case Cooling Fan or PSU fan attempt to turn?
We can narrow it down depending on if any of the above tries to turn.

Daire McCormack

Daire McCormack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Nope nothing tries to run.

I just disconnected everything except the cpu, cpu fan and psu and there was a small puff of smoke and a burning smell, I assume this means there is a faulty psu ?

If the psu is faulty could it have damaged my motherboard or any other components ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I assume this means there is a faulty psu ?

Probably a good assumption the PSU has failed.

If the psu is faulty could it have damaged my motherboard or any other components ?

Always a possibility but without visually checking the mobo for scarring or blown capacitors there is no way of knowing.

In most cases the mobo would take most of the hit but at this point I would say your PSU fried.

Daire McCormack

Daire McCormack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok thank you very much, you really helped me identify the problem.

There is no visable damage to the mobo so hopefully its just the psu which needs replacing :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In actuality if you take the PSU out and then take a sniff of the inside it will tell you without a doubt if it was indeed the PSU. Electric burnt is very unique to the smell. :D

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Did the smoke come from the board or the PSU? Check the base plate for the cpu cooling block on the back of the board. It could be grounding out by coming in contact with the motherboard. If there is grounding then it could also be a pinched wire or loose screw behind the board. I would removing the board from the case anyways and test it with another PSU to be sure.

Advertisements

Daire McCormack

Daire McCormack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Smoke was coming from the psu, it seems to make sense that it was a faulty psu as the computer would crash when playing demanding games, probably due to the extra power required by the graphics card (radeon 5970). The retailer I purchased it from are sending me out a replacement so hopefully that will resolve the problem. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hopefully a good PSU as a cheap one will be almost just as bad as a faulty one.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
May have missed it, but could not see the brand or wattage for the PSU.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That will be important as the new PSU needs to be at least what the old one was or even better.
Replacing with a cheaply made PSU could be a recipe for disaster as the mobo may not be able to withstand another shock like that again.
If possible you may want to ask your computer person what the make and model of the replacement PSU is.

Daire McCormack

Daire McCormack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry the faulty psu was a corsair tx950w and the replacement will be the same. Seems to be a pretty good make and model so was suprised to have problems with it