Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Extremely slow performance

• Please log in to reply

goostar

goostar

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
I'm running a Systemax computer that's about 5 years old with a Pentium 4 CPU at 2.00 GHz and 1.46 GB RAM. I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 2.

The computer has been running slow for some time. The first thing I looked at was the defrag and noticed that I'm down to 22% free space on the HD. It got hung up trying to analyze for the defrag and I cancelled it.

When browsing, it's taking forever to change pages and when moving between programs, the windows intermingle (if that's the term) and get hung up. iTunes has been the biggest headache, causing me to have to reboot.

My question is, knowing that this is a pretty vague description of the problem, can you tell me how to systematically analyze this so that I can determine if it's just an out-of-date machine or something that can be modified and updated.

Thank you in advance.

Goostar

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/ the one you want is in the top right

of the window and it says

"Download
Latest Version
#.##MB

After downloading Install it and open the program up and go to the "Tools" tab

After you're on the page click on the button that says "Start Up"

This will show you a list of all the programs that start when windows starts.

Down at the bottom right of the page click on the "Save to txt file" button

and Save. Post it with your next reply.

Next click the "uninstall" tab and then click on the "Save to text file"

and post it along with the "start up" text you saved earlier.