Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't boot - blinking cursor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi noiserider,

Yes, restoring your computer to the state when you first bought it is a sure fire way to resolve known and hidden issues. ;) That is a good fallback.

Its just funny MS Office killing the fun when I was just about to post the clean up. :D

Advertisements

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Can you please try this check for me.

Disable AVAST real time protection and then try opening some word documents.

noiserider

noiserider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Salagubang,

I decided to reinstall everything from the ground up. What a pain. I'm hoping everything works when I get done. I'll post an update later tonight.

Many thanks,

Keith

noiserider

noiserider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I think I understand the Word and Power Point lockup a bit better.

After reinstalling Windows, Avast and PC Firewall Plus and all the Windows updates I was finally able to load Office.

When I tried Word I got the same lockup when I tried to paste an image into the document. The lockup lasted for about 15 seconds and then there was a pop-up from PC Tools Firewall Plus asking if I trusted Word. When I clicked YES I was able to paste images with no problem in both Word and Power Point.

Can you explain what happened?

Keith

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi noiserider,

When I tried Word I got the same lockup when I tried to paste an image into the document. The lockup lasted for about 15 seconds and then there was a pop-up from PC Tools Firewall Plus asking if I trusted Word. When I clicked YES I was able to paste images with no problem in both Word and Power Point.

Can you explain what happened?

I concur. Incorrectly configured firewall and in rare cases even AV programs could cause conflicts. I am just as surprised seeing a firewall preventing local images from properly loading.

I am glad that you have sorted that problem out. Try running other programs and update me if there are still remaining issues.

:D

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi noiserider,

Now that you're on your merry way, here are my recommendations to prevent future infection. :D

Some programs that will help protect your computer.

Anti-Spyware
I recommend downloading and installing all of the following applications.
  • SpywareBlaster keeps spyware from installing on your system - read the tutorial here
  • SpywareGuard protects your browser and computer in real time - read the tutorial here
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition detects and removes spyware, adware, malware, trojans, rogue software, worms, rootkits, parasites and other potentially harmful software applications - read the tutorial here

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Other things to keep in mind.

Windows, Java, and Adobe products should all be kept up-to-date on a regular basis so the latest security fixes are in place on your computer. Please refer to the following links on how to manage these products.

Here are a few other applications you might consider. Keeping your temporary file area clean, your Windows registry backed up, and backing up your important data are all good techniques.

Please remember that just having these programs is not enough. You must use them. Running a full spyware scan weekly, a full virus scan monthly, and checking for updates and cleaning your temporary files periodically is very important in keeping your computer in tip-top shape.

Finally, please take the time to read the following articles. Applying this information will help prevent future infections:

How to prevent malware by miekiemoes
Preventing Malware and Safe Computing by Rorschach112

This article will help you understand how you may have gotten infected:
How did I get infected in the first place?

Remember, you have to be smarter than the bad guys! Be safe out there! Posted Image

Edited by Salagubang, 11 December 2010 - 05:53 AM.

noiserider

noiserider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Salagubang,

I have my computer up and fully functional again. I'm amazed at the number of updates that were required for XP and Office. It did take many hours and a few uninstalls and re-installs. Adobe professional took a few tries. I lost my audio driver somehow and had to re-install it.

Looking back at the cause:
I thought I was sensitive to viruses before, but I still clicked on a suspect file (spyware.passwords.xgen). That one suspect file led to hours of work to get things back up and operating. Even with firewalls and anti-virus software you are not fully protected. The best defense is not to click on suspect files.

Many thanks,

Keith

Edited by noiserider, 12 December 2010 - 05:51 PM.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Your welcome. :D

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.