Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

dead dell inspiron 1521 laptop

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
good day everyone.this seems like a very helpful forum after reading a bit here and there so i thought i'd join and see how things go.

i have a dell inspiron 1521 laptop. one day it decided to go in what appeared to be standby all the sudden. i couldnt get it to snap out of it so i powered it off and back on again but this time it was only a black screen. and this happened as it ofcource one month after the extended warranty expired! :D

- black screen
- the lock lights do not blink at all ( the "9" "A" ad the arrow down lock key )
- dvd lights up solid green and stays on.
- hdd stays off.
- no beeping sounds.
- an spins as it would normally.
- bluetooth lights up blinks off then on again and stays on.
- no need to hold the power button to shut it off.

what i've tested so far
- removed dvd ram Bluetooth and disconnected the monitor and the keyboard. it gave beeping sounds.
- i tested it with only one stick of ram it went back to what i explained before.
- removed that stick and tested it with the other same as above.
- powered up holding fn key the lights blink as the following
the 9 and the A locks blink the "arrow down" lock lights up solid. ( all blue )

- removed the battery
-removed the cemos battery
- same with the charger. i am sure its not that but just in case.

does anyone have an idea of what it may be? i've been told it may be an over heating problem with the chipset since it is an on-board video card.

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, it looks like a vid. card problem. Check this link,diagnostic lights.......

You can take apart the laptop & make sure the heatsik fins are clear. This link for removing vid. card.....