Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphix card

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
alright, i getting a new graphics card. its a gigabyte nvidia geforce pcx 5750 (128mb). i am updating from a ati radeon ve 32mb ddr which for some reason is using a ati radeon 7000 driver while the system information says its a radeon ve. and i know for sure it isnt a 7000. anyway, i play wolfenstein enemy territory. when in battle around a lot of people, i get like 4-6 fps constantly. thats horrible. so this is a side question, how much do u think my fps will rise for that game.

real question is, there is a 128mb version about 30bux cheaper and a 256mb version that is 30bux higher. the 256mb is like 120bux. so my question is, which one should i get. all the specs are the same. the memory both run at the same speeds (550mhz i think). i am planning on playing halo, and counterstrike on this pc so will those games need more video memory.

Edited by neilp4453, 26 May 2005 - 03:01 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Between those two i would go with the 256mb version. The extra 128 mb ram will help it not bog down on graphics intense games as much as the 128mb version.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i decided for a new graphics card. since everyone keeps telling me to get an ati, i decided to get this one http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102417. its a x600. should be sweeter then the 5750. the core speed itself is 25mhz slower then the 5750, but the memory itselft is 50mhz faster. and the price is cheaper too. and everyone tells me ati has better quality. so ill get this one. any feedbak.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
both should be good cards, and ati does not necessarily have better quailty. It is just personal experience with the cards itself. People who have had ati will stick with ati and people who have had nvidia will stick with nvidia. Just showing a point.
I personally like nvidia myself and thats because i will always stay with them. My Evga 6800 gt is overclocked to 410/1.12 and it came stock at 350/1000 with 32 Gb per second bandwith. $400 card and if you have the money the 6800 gt is still the best buy right now. There cheaper now. They go from cheap by brand to more expensive. From $299 - $410 right now from newegg on 6800 gt's. I wouldnt buy a cheap brand of the 6800 gt though. I have seen agp more expensive than pci Express and pci Express more than agp, it just varies on the brand.

Both cards you listed are about even and it just comes down to personal preference. Make shure you look at the gigabytes per second it really means more than the rest of the specs on a video card.

here is a link, hope this helps you.

http://www.pcvsconso...features/video/

Edited by jrm20, 30 May 2005 - 09:35 PM.

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Also search the web for benchmarkresults for your card, it will also tell you what kindof FPS you could expect for game you want to play. jrm20 good point, for me ATi for life, love my X800 Pro :tazz:. Also just a note if you want to play Cs, playing on public servers is ok at first but then you relises that alot of people hack and nearly every game someone will be cheating/hacking, dont d/l hacks, instead get mIRC and join irc.gamesurge.com and join something called pugs.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Right on, i looked at benchmarks for weeks before i decided which video card to buy. Good thought.