Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer will not start Fan runs No display

• Please log in to reply

cwsluke

cwsluke

• Pip
  • 5 posts
When I turn on my computer the fan runs very high and stays that way for as long as I have the patience to wait. All the normal lights are on the tower but the monitor does not display anything. I know the monitor works. I have had this problem for awhile and have been able to start it if I turned it back off and back on again, one or two times. But now I have done that over 25 times. I have tried using only minimal RAM, unplugging things plugged into the USB slots, hooking up a different video card and unplugging and plugging back in the power to the motherboard (still the same results). Do I need a new power supply or somthing?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,030 posts
Hi cwsluke :D
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard any add on card and PSU details would also help others to help you better.

I know the monitor works.

How do you know?

I have had this problem for awhile and have been able to start it if I turned it back off and back on again, one or two times. But now I have done that over 25 times

Turn what off and on the computer or monitor?
It is possible that the PSU has failed and the danger is that with the previous symptoms you have described it may have taken something else with it, if you can provide the info as asked we can make some suggestions.

cwsluke

cwsluke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's a Gateway gm4019e with XP and it's not custom. The video card is intergrated with the motherboard. I know the monitor works because I have had this problem for awhile and have been able to start the computer if I turned the computer on, then if it didn't boot turn the computer back off and back on again and repeat until it booted (no more then 3 or 4 "on and offs" for it to boot though)then the monitor would show the Gateway logo and it would boot up. I know the PSU is 300 watts.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,030 posts
Two suggestions you can do that are quick are 1: Try the monitor on another computer (a laptop with a vga port will do) 2: Try a known good PSU, Gateway and other companies such HP etc are known for using cheap generic PSUs such as Bestec to keep costs down and that is why so many of them fail.

cwsluke

cwsluke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
How should I replace the PSU? Can I buy one and do it myself? if so, do you recommended any certain PSU for me?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,030 posts
Have a look at this tutorial put together by Troy and Artellos and you will get the idea, make sure you remove the power cord from the wall before opening the case, make notes where each power lead goes, take a digital photograph if you can http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/
It would be helpful if you could loan another PSU just in case it is not the issue (waste of cash) the only other option would to be to have the present PSU tested by a Tech who has the correct equipment, as there is no other way of testing them correctly due to the different output the leads distribute +3V +5V and +12V.
Give us an idea of a budget if you do need a new PSU and what does the computer primarily get used for, gaming or school work this makes a big difference.
One other thing you could try is clearing the CMOS by removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB, this will restore the factory default settings, if you get the screen back you will need to go into the BIOS and reset the time and date, save the settings and exit, attached picture courtesy of rshaffer61.

EDIT: A couple of PSUs for you to consider should you need a replacement;
For everyday use http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139017
For if you intend fitting an add on video card for gaming or 3D designing etc;
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139005
Just out of curiosity when you attempt to boot up is there any activity from the HDD, sound or the HDD LED flashing?

Edited by phillpower2, 09 December 2010 - 02:52 PM.

cwsluke

cwsluke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The HDD light blinks once fast then stays solid the rest of the time, no beeps like when it usually boots. I use the computer for mostly everyday stuff. I'm going to try using a PSU off one of the older computers I have (if it's 300+ watts). Those PSU you recommended will work with my computer and I can install them myself correct? Thanks so far :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,030 posts
Until you try the monitor on another system and confirm it functions correctly you will not be able to resolve this.
Even if the HDD had gone bad or the OS had become corrupt you would still get the BIOS screen, the fact that you are not getting any beeps indicates that the boot process is failing, possibly bad Ram or a failed graphics chip, one way of attempting to establish which one it may be is to remove the Ram and power up your system, it will not boot obviously but if you get error beeps it may indicate the Ram is ok and that the graphics chip is bad.
In order for us to be able to help you need to follow the testing advice given and post back the results so we know what steps you have taken but had no success otherwise we will be going around in circles, things to try include;
1: Test the monitor on another computer
2: Clear the CMOS by removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments and then replace it
3: Remove the Ram and power up to see if you get any error beeps
4: Swap out the PSU and put in a known good one
If the graphics chip has failed you will need to fit an add on graphics card and this would affect the power output required from the PSU so it is not practical to recommend a PSU until all the testing has been completed.
Yes you will be able to exchange the PSU yourself, do some research on how you go about it, be prepared, give yourself plenty of time to do it and above all ask for assistance if you need it we are happy to help.
Some PSU advice : http://www.huddyswor...dware&Itemid=72

cwsluke

cwsluke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried to connect a PSU from my old computers but it didn't have four p4 for the motherboard only 2 connectors. Hooked up the monitor to the other computer and it worked fine. I don't really want to reset all the BIOS settings and stuff so I didn't remove the battery. I took out all the ram and it didn't make any beeps, but when I put the ram back the computer won't power at all. No lights, nothing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,030 posts

I tried to connect a PSU from my old computers but it didn't have four p4 for the motherboard only 2 connectors.

You will need the correct type of PSU to test successfully.

Hooked up the monitor to the other computer and it worked fine.

This at least establishes that the monitor is fine and helps narrow the cause down a bit.

I don't really want to reset all the BIOS settings and stuff so I didn't remove the battery.

Why not it only means you will need to reset the time and date if you get the screen back and it can clear bad settings.

I took out all the ram and it didn't make any beeps, but when I put the ram back the computer won't power at all. No lights, nothing.

This could mean that either the MB or PSU is dead or even both, have you checked the MB capacitors? http://www.pcstats.c...m?articleID=195
Here is a simple way to check if your present PSU is functioning at all http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html this test only shows if the PSU is getting any power at all and not that it is functioning correctly, this is due to the different voltages they put out, +3V, +5V and +12V if any one is not functioning you get issues.

Advertisements

al77

al77

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I didn't have the PSU connector tight on the MB and that's why the it wasn't getting any power when I pulled the RAM. I connected it and pulled the RAM same problem, I pulled the CMOS Bat and same problem. When it's running with the fan it lights up USB stick and the CD Rom opens. I checked all the capacitors and they seem alright, no leaks or bulges.

Al77 , my Son CWSLuke has been posting for me. I got an old machine to work.

Edited by al77, 13 December 2010 - 03:53 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,030 posts

I connected it and pulled the RAM same problem

Any beeps this time?

When it's running with the fan it lights up USB stick and the CD Rom opens.

This only proves that the PSU is providing power of some sort, see the previous info below;

this is due to the different voltages they put out, +3V, +5V and +12V if any one is not functioning you get issues.

I checked all the capacitors and they seem alright, no leaks or bulges.

This could be a good sign.
Has your MB got any details printed on it, a brand name such as Foxconn, Asus or Gigabyte for example?
If it has can you post the details along with the model and rev number, look by the CPU, between the PCI slots and around the edge of the MB, if the onboard graphics chip has gone, fitting an add on graphics card should do the trick so we need to know what type of card is required PCI, AGP or PCI-E.

al77

al77

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
No beeps when the RAM was removed (no beeps at all). I cannot find a brand name anywhere, even took the cooling fan off what appears to be the processor and something else. Lots of dust, took a blower and blew it out. Tried again no beeps. Put a video card in the PCI-E slot and got the fan on the graphics card going but no beeps and would not show any signal on the monitor (we tried to install this Radeon Graphics Card about a year ago but it would flicker, were told wrong drivers or the PSU wouldn't support it). Something different has happened, the yellow light (not the blue power light) on the front now goes out after it's on for about 30 seconds while the fan is running.

smithndavis

smithndavis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
To solve your problem first check your monitor and Ram with other system.Then check also your motherboard with other processor and fan.After doing these types of operation you will get actual problem.I think here problem is of motherboard or processor so pls check them with other system.Replace mother board if required.

al77

al77

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
The monitor works on other systems but i have no way of checking DDR Ram on those machines...one stick of RAM is fairly new

What if I buy a PC that i can part out pieces of my PC and make a new one

Edited by al77, 14 December 2010 - 05:35 PM.