Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio VGN SZ110 won't turn on (after removing optical drive)

• Please log in to reply

jadi929

jadi929

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
I just recently purchased this laptop and was running fine. The person who had it before me broke the faceplate of the cd drive so I wanted to just replace the whole drive.

I opened it up by removing the keyboard then finally getting access to the optical drive. I removed the drive and closed everything up. But it won't turn on, no reaction when I press the power button.

Also keep in mind the battery no longer holds a charge (have already ordered a new one). I have tried to turn it on with the battery and without the battery. But the battery charging light does come on, that the only reaction I get from it.

I opened it back up and make sure all the connections were fine, everything seemed fine but still won't turn on.

Also I have heard there could be something with the static charge or something since the laptop has metal housing?

What could be wrong?

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi jadi929,

Are you positive the drive is properly connected?

Since you don't get a reaction at all anymore it does sound like something was damaged when u opened up the laptop.
It is hard to say what though, could be anything like the motherboard to just the power connector.
The power adapter seems to work since the battery charges when it is in.

Does it power on if you take the drive back out?

Hope to help,

Mythio

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
i am pretty sure the cd drive is connected right, it won't start up with or without the cd drive

i even disconnected the cmos battery for like 10 minutes and plugged it back in, still no reaction

I went back and made sure all the connection were right and everything was how it originally was, but still no luck.

But i have a feeling its something simple, i don't know. this is very scary since this was kinda of an expensive laptop for me.

any other way to diagnose a problem like this?

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi jadi929,

What you could try is taking out the battery, DVD drive and hard drive and trying if the laptop responds then.
If some light up it could be the LCD screen so in that case try connecting to an external monitor with VGA and booting then to see if it works.

Otherwise I'm afraid it looks like your motherboard has been damaged and is not operating anymore or the motherboard is not getting any power because of a broken or damaged cable/connector between the power supply and the motherboard.
You can try following the instructions HERE on how to troubleshoot a dead laptop, but at the risk of doing more damage.
Perhaps it's an option to try to bring it to a PC repair shop?

It's hard to say for sure, but I doubt it's something simple unless its one of these two things:

1. You disconnected something related to the motherboard and connected it again at the wrong place or by damaging it (you can try checking this)
2. Something fried your power adapter or damaged it in such a way it cannot supply enough power to the motherboard anymore

The second option is unlikely, the first is possible, but if you say your sure everything is back the way it was...

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but personally I think your best bet is to bring it to a PC repair shop.
I'm not sure, but my guess is that your warranty is void since you opened it. You could check this though at the website of the manufacturer.

Mythio

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
yea i tried taking out the hard drive, still no luck, will take it to a shop

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi jadi929,