Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows update not working. Missind .dll files

• Please log in to reply

janiflower

janiflower

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Help! I have a manufacture install of XP home Sp3 with no reinstall disk.

Windows Update fails to install downloads, I have tried all the recommended fixes. Nothing has worked.
Also .dll files are missing. I was told that the "System File Checker" Utility will correct these issues. But like I have stated already ...
I have a manufacture install of XP home Sp3 with no reinstall disk.

I was told that the manufacturer places digital file images of this and to "run" sfc/scannow and when asked to install disk to select the pathway (C:/Windows/I386) to the XP install. I did this but... choosing a pathway was not an option. So of course the scan failed.

I am a rooky so please reply as if you are speaking to an illiterate... LOL. Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello janiflower.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :D
;) ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Below I am including the instructions for running SFC without a disk. Please let me know if this works for you.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

janiflower

janiflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
WOW... that was fast.
I went to the registry editor and the source path already says C:\WINDOWS
Should I edit this to just C: or to C:\WINDOWS\I386 ?

Edited by janiflower, 07 December 2010 - 07:56 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Write down exactly what it says in the path.
Then change it per the instructions above and see what happens.

janiflower

janiflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did as you suggested and I got the same message window after reboot as I did before the change...

Windows File Protection. Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original versions.
Then...
Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied into DLL cache. Insert CD-Rom.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK what you need to do is to borrow a :D XP home Sp3 ;) installation disk from someone to do the steps then.
It has to be the one above or it won't work.

janiflower

janiflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok. Thanks for the help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Depending on the make and model of your computer you may have an option built into it to restore XP without formatting (non-destructive restore). This is like a windows repair operation that leaves your data and programs intact, as opposed to destructive restore which formats the hard disk, wiping everything and installing XP again, bringing the computer to it's original state (factory settings).

Have a look in your user manual or, if you don't have one, download a copy from the manufacturer's site and see what your options are.

Whatever you decide to do backup your valuable data first!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you supply the make and model of the system we may be able to find the recovery partition information for you also. Thanks Skeptic for stepping in. I fried a keyboard today so I won't be around much.

janiflower

janiflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok... It is running XP Home version 2002 Service pack 3

There are two manufactures listed...

Manufactured by CISNET (in gerneral info) but it says Manufactured by ASUSTek Computer inc. (in System Information)
Model # K8V-MX

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is your computer a brand name (HP, Dell, Lenovo etc.) or is it generic (installed by a company or individual who asemble computers from different parts)?

janiflower

janiflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I could find no other Brand name. Even the proof of license sticker on the tower says CISNET.
I contacted thier "support" team and all they said was "You can purchase a recovery CD for $45CAD."
The website is now a company called ZT Systems http://www.ztsystems.com/

But... I found in my drawer of disks... an OS reinstallationcd for XP Pro from Dell & an OS reinstalation CD for XP Home SP2 for HP or Compaq. These any help? Remember I have XP Home SP3.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It looks like a company who buy computers from OEM manufacturers, selling them under their own name. Try to use one of the two disks that you have to run SFC /SCANNOW as suggested previously by other helpers. If it doesn't work, try the other one.

Without going into many details, the SP that you have installed is not necessarilly a factor. So, try your disks and see if this work.

janiflower

janiflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
When the "Windows file protection" asks for a disk I tried using them and just got the same message. Wrong cd or drive not working.
I have just been doing the scannow from the start menu - run. Should I have the disk in when I reboot?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you succeeded to run scannow without a CD then you don't need one at the present. Normally scannow looks in backup directories for replacement for missing or corrupt system files. The CD is required only when the backup files are corrupted, which is quite often.

When you run scannow you don't have to boot the computer. At the end of the process the dialog box just disappear. If you got it any other way then something is wrong.