Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How Does WikiLeaks Do It?

• Please log in to reply

Phriend

Phriend

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Admittedly, I value my online privacy immensely.

Does anyone happen to know what I need to do in order to maximize my online privacy? (Ideally I'd like to become invisible to anyone trying to spy on me, stalk me, track me, etc). Is there a way for the average guy to achieve this -- or do I have to go all WikiLeaks in order to become invisible on the internet. (And if so, how does WikiLeaks do it?)

Edited by Phriend, 07 December 2010 - 11:14 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi mate,

All the usual comes to mind. Such as don't give out credit card details, personal details, etc. online. Make sure your modem supports NAT and it is turned on. Make sure your modem has a hardware firewall and it is turned on and configured to block the common attacks. Disable wireless on your modem. Make sure all computers on your home network have an up-to-date antivirus, and a properly configured firewall. Make sure you are not using any form of P2P filesharing software. Make sure you are not infected. Configure your DNS to use OpenDNS and configure the OpenDNS account to be nice and secure.

If you wanted to go further again, make sure your internet plan has a dynamic IP address (your ISP can advise this) and turn your modem off when not in use. That way next time you want to use the internet, it should re-connect and hopefully pick up a different IP address.

If you still want to go further then look up some form of Proxy service.

There is more after that for the paranoid. (Caution, tin foil hat required to proceed).

Cheers

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Admittedly, I value my online privacy immensely.

Does anyone happen to know what I need to do in order to maximize my online privacy? (Ideally I'd like to become invisible to anyone trying to spy on me, stalk me, track me, etc). Is there a way for the average guy to achieve this -- or do I have to go all WikiLeaks in order to become invisible on the internet. (And if so, how does WikiLeaks do it?)

what does wikileaks have to do with anything?

Phriend

Phriend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Hi mate,

All the usual comes to mind. Such as don't give out credit card details, personal details, etc. online. Make sure your modem supports NAT and it is turned on. Make sure your modem has a hardware firewall and it is turned on and configured to block the common attacks. Disable wireless on your modem. Make sure all computers on your home network have an up-to-date antivirus, and a properly configured firewall. Make sure you are not using any form of P2P filesharing software. Make sure you are not infected. Configure your DNS to use OpenDNS and configure the OpenDNS account to be nice and secure.

If you wanted to go further again, make sure your internet plan has a dynamic IP address (your ISP can advise this) and turn your modem off when not in use. That way next time you want to use the internet, it should re-connect and hopefully pick up a different IP address.

If you still want to go further then look up some form of Proxy service.

There is more after that for the paranoid. (Caution, tin foil hat required to proceed).

Cheers

Would a VPN take care of all these things? (I thought a VPN was the best way to maximize privacy... but perhaps I am wrong).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
a VPN is virtual private network. and it requires both an entry point and an exit point. while your traffic in the middle is protected by encapsulation, the exit point is not so someone can still intercept that traffic and do with it what they want (like intercept your banking info if you fall for a phishing attempt)

you could use the TOR network (googles it) for anonymizing and encapsulating your traffic, but that won't completely protect you from things like virus/malware infection, phishing, or plain poor internet practices

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Wikileaks has nothing to do with online privacy. Wikileaks simply takes steps to protects its sources (and itself, judging from the news recently), which is an entirely different thing from what you want to do.

Technically every connection cannot be invisible, unless you're physically not connected.
There are billions of people on the internet at any one time. You are far more likely to win the state lottery four times over than be "hacked" in any way, shape or form providing you don't use any software that opens you up to such options.

Unless you get your own connection to the internet (ie without going a provider), you can still theoretically be traced, but most jurisdictions require a court order to find out more about you at any level below which provider you're on. Unless you're doing something either seriously wrong or seriously illegal, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.