Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Laptop overheating maybe

• Please log in to reply

snoops palace

snoops palace

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I know it's overheated before when reformatting because I didn't give the fan enough ventalation. A couple of times while I leave a game on over night and I might be download 2 or more things, I can hear the system die and restart. I watch it and it goes to the seconds counting down untill I have to choose wether to start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/ Networking, Safe Mode w/ a Command Promt and then to just to start Windows normally. No matter what I chose, it gets to the XP loading status bar and then a blue screen appears for a split second and then it restarts and does the whole thing over again. It's done something like this before and last time I let it sit for about a day and it ran fine after that and so I am going to try that again. Anyone know what's up?

Advertisements

spudZ

spudZ

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi Snoops Palace. You said you leave your laptop on all night? That definately isn't a good idea. That's probably why it's overheating. Just don't leave it on so much and it should be fine. Since it isn't custom made, there shouldn't really be anything wrong with the cooling. Regards,

-spudZ :tazz:

snoops palace

snoops palace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
am i the only that deals with this?

pissing me off

snoops palace

snoops palace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
now I know it's not overheating. It keeps going to the blue screen and dying. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
SpudZ is right on the money re: being a standard system, there shouldn't be an overheating problem but have you tried a liitle canned air to clean up your exhaust fan?

Now let's read between the lines - its what you didn't say that draws my interest.

I know it's overheated before when reformatting because I didn't give the fan enough ventalation

So, what did you do after you reformatted? Perhaps your own installation? If you just used a restore CD you didn't need to reformat, so I need a little help here. What did you install OS-wise? Did you install the correct motherboard drivers? Give us a little more background and history.

When did your problem start?

:tazz:

snoops palace

snoops palace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Started about a month ago but it seemed to go away after I gave it some ventalation. I had a game running and 2 downloads going last night and I heard it restarting this mourning but I'm not sure when it started. I am running XP. I reformatted a few months ago with the HP quick restore disks. I do every 3 or 4 months just to keep the computer running as smooth as possible. I have tried canned air all day today :tazz:

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Any chance your refrigerator has room for a chair in it? OK, sounds like you have a pretty good handle on this and it might be wise to go ahead and replace the fan on that puppy. You can also buy a laptop cooler which is basically a plate with a couple of fans that you set your laptop on top of. They cost about $20-30.
I use a cheaper type of device on mine which just elevates the back about 1/2" so the fan can suck in more air and my laptop is a Sony which is setup a little diferently.
Good Luck.

Edited by Rockster2U, 26 May 2005 - 09:56 PM.

snoops palace

snoops palace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok. I talked to my friend too and he said to replace the fan and then I will probably buy one of those plate fans. Any ideas on the situtation if this doesn't work?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Check this out.

snoops palace

snoops palace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, I am going to go and try to pick a fan. After letting it sit all night, I am still getting the blue screen of death :tazz:

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Get the exact part # and order it - you won't find anything locally so don't waste your time. Lots of places online to buy from but it will require a specialty retailer dealing with notebook parts.

snoops palace

snoops palace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
There's a place around here that has them I am pretty sure called FRY's. Not sure if you've heard of it or not. One more question: Would it still be the fan if no matter what temperature the laptop was at when I powered it on, would it still get to a certain higher temperature everytime I get to the same loading part causing it to die at the same part? I don't know if that makes sense or not but I was thinking that when the computer is powered on, the temperature rises every single time when loading which is why the fan is not working properly thus causing it to die. I am taking your word for it though and I am going to get a fan asap!

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Whoa there partner - don't "take my word for it" - you said -

Started about a month ago but it seemed to go away after I gave it some ventalation

and

I know it's overheated before when reformatting because I didn't give the fan enough ventalation

and

Ok. I talked to my friend too and he said to replace the fan

I said :

SpudZ is right on the money re: being a standard system, there shouldn't be an overheating problem but have you tried a liitle canned air to clean up your exhaust fan?

Now, lets get this straight - Installing a replacement fan (and yes, I know Fry's and no, you're not going to find the correct fan at Frys) isn't going to hurt you but is that solely what I think ails you and is this going to make your problem go away? I sure wouldn't bet the ranch on it and I hope I haven't led you to believe thats my cure-all diagnosis.

Now let's read between the lines - its what you didn't say that draws my interest.

There is a whole lot more that I would like to know before I'm going to try to peg what ails you. We're going to need to discuss your file downloading and bunch of software related and system related issues too but if you've had problems in the past with ventilation and heat as you have led us to believe then it makes sense to start by fixing that first. Key word here is START.

Edited by Rockster2U, 27 May 2005 - 04:09 PM.

snoops palace

snoops palace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can't seem to find the dimensions of my fan. Can you help me out. It's ze4430us HP Pavilain Notebook.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Go to HP's website and look up the EXACT part.