Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Indexing Service and Outlook 2010

• Please log in to reply

skypilotpete

skypilotpete

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am trying to optimise the windows indexing service so that searching emails in Outlook 2010 is as fast as possible. I have gone into Indexing Options and removed all items except for the default "Microsoft Outlook" entry and the Outlook folder that includes the .pst data file.

Is there anything more that I can or should do?

I run windows 7 (home) 64 bit. It is a quad-core Q6600 machine with 4gb ram. I use Zabkat xplorer2 for file searching. I tried using the Lookeen Outlook plugin for email searching, but discovered that it does not work for Windows 7 64 bit (The Lookeen website says that it does work on 64 bit systems, but in response to numerous problems posted on the Lookeen forum, one of the Lookeen management team has recently acknowledged that it currently does not work).

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I'm not at all sure that the indexing feature of Windows can benefit third-party search tools, I thought it was just for the Windows built-in search.
If that's true (and I think it is), there's no point in having the Indexing Service running at all in your case. Third-party search tools employ their own indexing methods, some use no indexing.