Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need advice on what price to sell my old PC

• Please log in to reply

jst3712

jst3712

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there.
Recently built a brand new system myself, but now I'm stuck with my old one. I'm wanting to sell it, but I need some expert advice on what price range I should be asking.

*** Please note, I am only selling the BOX, i.e. no monitor, peripherals or O/S. Also I am not including a hard-drive (for security reasons) ***.

Here are the specs....

CPU: AMD Athlon64 939 3200 (approx 2.0 GHz).
M/B: GIGABYTE K8 Triton Series, K8NF-9 (rev 1.1), nForce4-4X chipset.
RAM: KINGSTON PC3200 DDR 2GB (exp. to 4GB).
VGA: GIGABYTE ATI Radeon X300SE, 128MB.
DVD1: LG Super Multi DVD-RW with Litescribe support (GSA-4040B).
DVD2: SONY Multi DVD-RW with Dual Layer (DL) support (AWG170A10).
HDD: Accepts EIDE or SATA (**Supply your own - not included**).
TOWER: CoolerMaster 'Cavalier' Midi, 350W PSU, brushed aluminium finish, illuminated VU Meter for audio playback, front and rear fans, tool-free design, illuminated case feet (blue LED), front USB, firewire and audio ports.
MISC1: Front panel PC monitor - LCD display for temperature (CPU, HDD and SYS), CPU fan speed adjustment, multi card reader, 2x USB, 1x Firewire, Headphones and Mic.
MISC2: Removable HDD caddy can be used for quick removal of HDD*.

What you get ---:
Box only, i.e. *supply your own hard drive, peripherals and O/S. Drivers and manuals supplied.

Other information --:
System would be suitable for Windows XP, unless you upgrade RAM to 4GB (which is the max). Two DVD burners installed - one has Litescribe support and the other has Dual Layer support.
Motherboard Specs (link): http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=1860#ov

Very well looked after and recently cleaned inside.

I was thinking along the lines of AU$250-300 ??? --- If you could advise your prices in AU (Australian), that would be helpful ---

A few pics attached......

Thanks!!!!!
Jason.

Attached Thumbnails

• PC080014b.jpg
  • PC080017.jpg
  • PC080018.jpg

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi jst3712,

Looking at what is in the computer I'm guessing its a pretty old one.
So no warranty on anything anymore + several years old I'm thinking around the lines of 200 AUD.

Although this very much depends on if you can find someone that wants it, even for that price.
You might have to go lower to actually sell it.

Price might also have to go down a bit because there is no HDD in it, which means people are not buying a complete working PC but only a big set of components.

Hope to help,

Mythio

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Computers depreciate like there's no tomorrow, unfortunately, so don't expect anywhere near what you paid for it.

An average guide would be to aim for, on a very good day, 25% of what you paid for it, however 10-15% of it's original price is more likely.
With no hard drive, I reckon you'd do well to get between 5% and 8% of what you paid for it.

You may find it's more beneficial, albeit more of a pain in the backside, to simple strip it down and flog each part separately. This way you may actually end up with more overall than you would selling the system as a whole.

jst3712

jst3712

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi jst3712,

Looking at what is in the computer I'm guessing its a pretty old one.
So no warranty on anything anymore + several years old I'm thinking around the lines of 200 AUD.

Although this very much depends on if you can find someone that wants it, even for that price.
You might have to go lower to actually sell it.

Price might also have to go down a bit because there is no HDD in it, which means people are not buying a complete working PC but only a big set of components.

Hope to help,

Mythio

Thanks Mythio.
It's not *that* old! :D I upgraded this system only in 2006... it's still a great, reliable system. OK, it's not suited so much for a heavy gamer or graphics designer, but for every day stuff it works just fine.
I know what you are saying about not including a HDD - I would've included my old one, but I don't want to risk someone recovering my data - I don't trust anyone or any software out there. And if I buy and install a brand new one, what's to say that the size will suit the buyer, or if I will even sell the system?
Another thing with HDD... if one was included, I wouldn't install any O/S because then they'd have a my 'registered' copy installed! (what do people do in this case?).
I'd be happy with $170-200.

Cheers
Jason.

jst3712

jst3712

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Computers depreciate like there's no tomorrow, unfortunately, so don't expect anywhere near what you paid for it.

I'm not, don't worry! Pity though, cos I spent thousands on it over the last few years :D

An average guide would be to aim for, on a very good day, 25% of what you paid for it, however 10-15% of it's original price is more likely.
With no hard drive, I reckon you'd do well to get between 5% and 8% of what you paid for it.

Wow, if only I could get 25%.... that would be like $600!

You may find it's more beneficial, albeit more of a pain in the backside, to simple strip it down and flog each part separately. This way you may actually end up with more overall than you would selling the system as a whole.

Thanks for the suggestion, but there's no way in the world I am doing that! In my opinion, I'd be worse off. There must be somebody out there that would have some use for my HDD-less system that already has a keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.

I'll aim for $170-200 and see how I go...?

Thanks Neil.

Jason.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi jst3712,

I understand your concern regarding the harddrive, but if you do not need it anymore yourself I'd suggest doing the following:

Place the hard drive in your new computer or any other computer you have available as a secondary drive.

If you format your hard drive, not all data is really gone. There are safer ways to wipe a drive. There are programs designed to really wipe a disk.
These programs basically overwrite all the data on the hard drive with new meaningless data. This ensures your data is really gone (or at least very hard to retrieve without professional tools and knowledge).
There are free programs available that can do this, like Eraser.
You can set the program to do several passes of wiping all data on the drive and even wiping the free space.
Include the free space and use one of the wiping processes that makes at least 3 passes.

After that it's safe to sell your hard drive, no "normal" people will have the tools to retrieve any readable data from the hard drive.
This way you can sell an entire PC (without OS) which will improve the chance you have of selling it.

I'm not sure, but I think it's even illegal to sell your copy of XP (in some cases anyway). Most people will have an OS of there own though, or will buy a new one.

Hope to help,

Mythio

Edited by Mythio, 09 December 2010 - 06:23 AM.

jst3712

jst3712

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi jst3712,

I understand your concern regarding the harddrive, but if you do not need it anymore yourself I'd suggest doing the following:

Place the hard drive in your new computer or any other computer you have available as a secondary drive.

If you format your hard drive, not all data is really gone. There are safer ways to wipe a drive. There are programs designed to really wipe a disk.
These programs basically overwrite all the data on the hard drive with new meaningless data. This ensures your data is really gone (or at least very hard to retrieve without professional tools and knowledge).
There are free programs available that can do this, like Eraser.
You can set the program to do several passes of wiping all data on the drive and even wiping the free space.
Include the free space and use one of the wiping processes that makes at least 3 passes.

After that it's safe to sell your hard drive, no "normal" people will have the tools to retrieve any readable data from the hard drive.
This way you can sell an entire PC (without OS) which will improve the chance you have of selling it.

I'm not sure, but I think it's even illegal to sell your copy of XP (in some cases anyway). Most people will have an OS of there own though, or will buy a new one.

Hope to help,

Mythio

Yeah... I'll have a good think about it over the weekend.

If I decide to include the hard drive, it's a WD 250GB.
So how much you reckon now? :D

Jason.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi jst3712,

If you can add it I'm thinking that 200AUD is reasonable if you can find someone to pay it.
Otherwise you would have to go lower, like 170 like mentioned before.

Of couse you would start at 250 and let them haggle a bit, thinking they won by cutting 50 of the price, when you wanted to sell it for 200 the whole time anyway ;-)

Mythio

jst3712

jst3712

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Haha, ok.

Just downloaded 'Eraser'... Tomorrow I'll connect that 250GB hard drive as a secondary drive on my new Win 7 machine - and fingers crossed it will do the job.

Thanks for all your help Mythio.

Regards,
Jason.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
EDIT: accidental double post, oops!

Edited by Mythio, 10 December 2010 - 10:32 AM.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Not a problem, glad I could help :-)

Mythio