Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired Lan Network Wont Detect Other Computer

• Please log in to reply

chek001

chek001

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Right ok here goes, I have two computers wired up using a crossover LAN cable we can share the internet no trouble but the computers are not visible at either end. So i cant send files or anything like that! the furthest i get on this computer (host) is this -

I go into "My Network Place" and under the UNSPECIFIED catergory i get

SharedDocs on Robs PC (Rob)

Which is the computer but there is no way of opening it up!

What do i do????

PLEASE HELP ITS SO FRUSTRATING

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
can you ping each other by ip? if yes, can you ping it by name? if not, compare both ip configuration, this step by setp troubleshooting may help, http://howtonetworki...ccessibale0.htm

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it is under unspecified category then have you set up a workgroup? you will probably need to do that if you haven't. if you are not part of a network of some kind then you do not have permissions no matter if the files are shared or not.

chek001

chek001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hey people! i can ping each other etc and im getting the internet through but i cant see or share files! ive set up the workgroup and both computers are on the HOME group im not even getting an unspecified atm!

Chek