Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Unable To Complete Format

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You might try EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition or you might check the drive makers web site for their diagnostic program.

Advertisements

kbmp

kbmp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok the Easeus seemed to have worked but for some reason I am missing about 30GB of space that was on the hard drive. The hard drive was only 60gb to start with. Originally, I had 39.9gb and the other 16gb was a partition with another drive letter. When I first open Easeus, it showed all I had was 15gb instead of the 39.9gb and the 16gb unallocated. After formatting, the total size of the drive now says I only have 31.4gb. What happen to the other space?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Then it seems like that drive was partitioned into two drives. You should be able to delete the second partition (if you want) and reallocate the space to the first partition. The drive must have at least one partition, even if it takes up the whole drive.

kbmp

kbmp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
See, that's just the thing. It's not showing another drive nor is it showing a second partition.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Then go to Google and enter: "delete [brand name] hidden partition" where [brand name] is the PC maker's name, ie; Dell, HP, Acer.

kbmp

kbmp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did as you described but was not able to find any consisted information.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, I am afraid I am at a loss. Perhaps someone else reading has some suggestions. Sorry.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Try DBANing it, then partition and format the partition(s).
http://www.dban.org

Edited by SpywareDr, 15 December 2010 - 09:49 AM.

kbmp

kbmp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok I tried this method and the disk still says I only have 31.49 available space. Although after running DBAN there was one error message that read "error /dev/sdb (process crash)so I dont know if this has anything to do with the problem I'm still having.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
What brand and model number is the hard drive?

Advertisements

kbmp

kbmp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Samsung SV6003H

crackerjack54

crackerjack54

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Make sure the jumpers on the HDD are set in the Slave position.Restart and format.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Make sure the jumpers on the HDD are set in the Slave position.Restart and format.

Assuming the primary is set to Master. If the primary is set to CS, then the secondary must also be set to CS. But since the drive is accessible, it does not appears to be Master/Slave issue.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Go back in to disk management and get a screen shot of the drive. I would like to see a picture.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Make sure you do NOT have the drive jumpered with one of the "32 GB Pin Setting"'s?

Posted Image
(Note: The red and yellow accents were added by me)

The original is here: http://org.downloadc...ide_ENGLISH.pdf (.pdf)