Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Any Way of Copying IDE HD to SATA HD?

• Please log in to reply

chek001

chek001

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Right ok ive just bought a new 120GB SATA Hard Drive and obviously because i have so much work games music etc on this hardrive 120GB IDE HD i dont want to lose it and it will take so many DVD-R's to back it up and my network is down atm. So is there any way of copying my C drive to this hard drive. In My computer the SATA drive will not show up either is this usual?

PLEASE HELP IM AT MY WITS END

Chek

Advertisements

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
make sure if the sata is connected to the mb and has the boot os, there is nothing on the primary master. put the old hd on the second master. Then make sure bios reads it. Try searching the forum for "sata", this problem has shown up alot lately.

Nixx

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
are you currently booting to the IDE drive, and do you want to keep it that way, or to boot from the SATA?

you will need to install the SATA driver in either case for windows to see the drive, but how you go about installing it will depend on how you want your system set up.
is the sata connected directly to the motherboard?

chek001

chek001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hey guys right ok the IDE is running on the master and the SATA is connected directly to the Mobo! i want to run off the SATA after ive copied everything to the drive! any ideas?

Chek

jman4001

jman4001

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok, install ur OS on the sata

then bring all ur files over

then i would suggest installing the OS on the ata drive in case you ever have a failure you can boot to your other drive and hopefully save your files