Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Super Slow Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

beefheart_1

beefheart_1

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

My computer is ever so slow in shutting down. This problem has occurred in the past week or so. I have recently tried to uninstall a lot of programmes to gain disc space i have run many registry cleanup programmes but maybe that is where the problem lies?

I have found this http://www.geekstogo...extremely-slow/ but am not sure if i can just follow these steps.

All the help is welcome!

Cheers Leonie.

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi beefheart_1,

You can follow these instructions from rshaffer61:

It may be the amount of programs that need to shutdown in the background that are causing your issue.
Please do the following and post the requested logs.

Download Autoruns:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...
DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Post back with the results.

And for future notice: It is unwise to use registry cleaners or any other programs that try to fix issues in your registry, unless being told to do so by an expert. Registry cleaners have the potential to do a lot of harm and in some cases do more harm than good.

Hope to help,

Mythio

beefheart_1

beefheart_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

After downloading Everest i got a massage saying it didn't support my type of motherboard?? Here are the logs/file:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Versie EVEREST v2.20.405/nl
Startpagina http://www.lavalys.com/
Rapporttype Snelrapport
Computer ACER-5DAA692B58
Maker Leonie
Besturingssysteem Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Datum 2010-12-08
Tijd 18:55

--------[ Overzicht ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Besturingssysteem Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computernaam ACER-5DAA692B58
Naam gebruiker Leonie

Moederbord:
CPU Type Mobile Intel Celeron M, 1600 MHz (12 x 133)
Moederbordnaam Acer Aspire 3690
Moederbord Chipset Intel Calistoga i945GM/PM
Systeemgeheugen 1014 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (11/10/06)

Scherm:
Video kaart Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family (224 MB)
Video kaart Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family (224 MB)
Monitor Plug en Play-monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia:
Geluidskaart Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller

Opslag:
IDE apparaat Intel® 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4
SCSI/RAID apparaat ENE PCI Memory Stick Card Reader Controller
SCSI/RAID apparaat ENE PCI Secure Digital / MMC Card Reader Controller
SCSI/RAID apparaat ENE PCI SmartMedia / xD Card Reader Controller
Harde schijf Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 (74 GB, IDE)
Harde schijf ST310003 33AS USB Device (931 GB, USB)
Optische Station HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T10N
SMART Status harde schijf OK

Partities:
C: (FAT32) 35400 MB (3665 MB vrij)
D: (FAT32) 35902 MB (12977 MB vrij)
F: (NTFS) 953867 MB (820643 MB vrij)
Geheugencapaciteit 1001.1 GB (817.7 GB vrij)

Invoerapparaten:
Toetsenbord Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Muis Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Netwerk:
Netwerkkaart Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter
Netwerkkaart Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller (192.168.1.3)
Modem HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Peripherieapparaten:
Printer Adobe PDF
Printer Fax
Printer HP Deskjet 3900 Series
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 apparaat Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - USB Universal Host Controller
USB2 apparaat Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - Enhanced USB2 Controller
USB-apparaat Acer OrbiCam
USB-apparaat USB-apparaat voor massaopslag
Batterij Accu die voldoet aan Microsoft ACPI-besturingsmethode
Batterij Microsoft AC-adapter

everestscreen.jpg

Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   61.53KB   182 downloads

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem can be caused by a large number of reasons. I am quite sure that the uninstallation of programs followed by running multiple registry cleanup programs is at the root of the problem. To get some ideas about how to solve the problem have a look at thissite, especially under "Shut Down works but it's real slow".

If you don't find a solution then you can try to install the programs that you removed back again. If the computer shut down as it should, start uninstalling the programs that you don't want with Revo Uninstaller. Revo uses the built-in uninstaller of each of the programs, removing, at a a second stage, all leftovers. My experience with Revo is great. Never failed me.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi beefheart_1,

If the tips from The_Skeptic work to address your slowdown issue, there is one more noteworthy thing to do.
You are running a pretty old version of AVG, namely AVG9. Consider updating it to the current version (there is still a free version of AVG if you are using that)
Find it HERE.

Hope to help,

Mythio

beefheart_1

beefheart_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Both,

will take a look at that site Skeptic the registry thing might be a problem but i have removed all programmes via add/remove windows programma and haven't had problems untill now. Whan i shut down my computer the windows registry repair icon flickrs a lot. Also i recently installed dropbox. Apart from the windows regustry repair i use cccleaner and advanced system care.

Mythic i have the most recent AVG installed (free edition 2011) might the message i got when installing EVEREST (something with not being able to connect to my motherboard) be the cause of you not seeing the problem...??

I've just restarted my computer and it's still slow (2/3 minutes desktop image then 3 minutes saving and 2 minutes closing windows or so).

Do i need to un-check anything in autorun logon tab..??

Thanks very much fo the help so far!!

Leonie.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi beefheart_1,

It's Mythio actually, not Mythic ;-)

Your autoruns log says AVG9, but that might be normal if your sure AVG2011 is installed.
Maybe The Skeptic can shed some light on that.

What you could do is go to start -> run -> msconfig.
Go to the tab "Startup" and remove the check before every program that is not absolutely necessary for you.
Besides any virusscanner and other security programs, I'd suggest disabling them all for now.
Click "apply" and close it. You will have to reboot.
After the reboot the changes will be in effect, shutdown your computer like you normally do and see if it is any faster than before.

Hope to help,

Mythio

beefheart_1

beefheart_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi again Mythio (i knew that not sure where that c came from ; ) )

Will do that i've looked at the site Skeptic suggested when following this step:

Correspondent Graeme J.W. Smith reported a more obscure cause of slow shutdown: In Win XP Professional, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to clear the pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the hibernation file to be wiped at shutdown. These processes take long enough that users may think that shutdown has hung. To change the setting, click Start | Run, type GPEDIT.MSC, click OK. Drill down to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options. In the right pane, find “Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile.” NOTE: Since someone actually has to have set this policy, the problem will be pretty rare, but is worth mentioning. However, Forum participant “roadrunner” reported that the personal security app Privacy Eraser automatically enables “Clear virtual memory pagefile,” and, therefore, may be the cause of a slow shutdown.

Now when i look at the two shutdown policies i have one says activated (the top one) and the other is deactivated which is this one Clear virtual memory pagefile but maybe that's normal ???? it's all in dutch but i will make a screencap just in case

Naamloos-1.jpg

I am not changing anything without you having a look at it : ) Will now do the start-up clean up.

Thanks again!

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi beefheart_1,

Your security policies seem to be in order or: "Ziet er goed uit" ;-)
I am dutch actually, so the screencap is not a problem for me. Got to keep it English on this forum though.

Have you tried the other suggestion from that site?

Mythio

beefheart_1

beefheart_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Goedenavond dan ; )

Which one of the 7 steps do you mean? Nr. 2 i didn't get...

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi beefheart_1,

Evening indeed, time flies by so fast these days.

Have you tried all other steps except 2? Or did you stop when you tried 2?
You should try them all if they apply to your system.

Have you tried disabling the startup items?

Mythio

beefheart_1

beefheart_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I've looked at all the steps but it's a bit hogere wiskunde for me : ( I did disable some start up items (the ones i knew like apple, adobe, photoshop, dropbox etc.) does not seem help though.

Anything else i can do...?

EDIT the systems lingers the longest on the desktop image all icons are then gone after that it hangs at the windows shutdown..i think (will check)

Cheers Leonie.

Edited by beefheart_1, 08 December 2010 - 02:40 PM.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Leonie,

I think the following step is probably the only one worthwhile to try, unless you are using itunes (are you?).

1. Go to start -> run -> msconfig
2. This time go to the tab "services"
3. Look for Nvidia Driver Helper, if its in the list disable it by removing the check in front of it
4. Look for the "Terminal services" service and if its in the list disable it
5. Look for the Event Log service and if its in the list disable it
6. Click apply, close and reboot

Did that help to decrease shutdown times?

Mythio

Edit: Regarding your edit, when the desktop is still visible and the computer is trying to shutdown it is closing processes and programs that are running at that time. When the icons disappear it means the explorer.exe service has been stopped, I think its one of the last services windows stops before you get the shutdown screen. So it's normal, but it shouldn't take this long.

Edited by Mythio, 08 December 2010 - 02:48 PM.

beefheart_1

beefheart_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Right so without having done your last suggestion it now shuts down within the minute hurray for that...should i (baat het niet dan schaadt het niet) do your last suggestion anyways? And yes i do use itunes...(crap programme i know)

Very very happy that this seems to be resolved *high five*

Leonie : D

PS EDIT it was the saving setting it lingered on after the desktop but that was considerably longer) Only Terminal Services and Event Log appear in the list you mentioned in the above step.

Edited by beefheart_1, 08 December 2010 - 03:03 PM.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Leonie,

At least something seems to have had an effect :-)
It could be that one of the steps taken took a little time to have a real effect.

If the problem is resolved then it's better not to follow the instructions from my last post.

I would leave the programs that you turned of at "startup" from a few post earlier disabled at this time.
It's likely one of those was the bad guy messing up your shutdown process.

Let's hope it doesn't come back!

Mythio