Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Booting Laptop.. Probably hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

shellc0d3r

shellc0d3r

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey.. First of all thank you for trying to help.

My Compaq laptop is having problems starting or booting up at all. It needs to be plugged in in order to do anything... sometimes it boots up and lets me do like 2 minutes of work and then shuts off with one beep. I know for a fact that its not overheating.. some other times it tries turning on and beeps and shuts off in less than a second. By the way sometime it beeps sometimes it doesnt. Its frustrating.

I have a video that might be a little helpful.
http://qik.com/video/21936273

Thanks once again. Anyhelp is appreciated.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If it works normally with mains power cord attached, and you only get problems when trying to run your laptop from the battery, it's almost certainly the battery which has reached the end of it's life and needs replacing. If I misunderstood your post it's because you didn't make it clear on that point.

If I'm right and your laptop only gives you that problem when trying to run it on battery power, the battery will fail early in it's life if you leave it attached to the laptop for long periods while running the laptop from mains power. This often happens to people who use their laptop mainly at home, permanently connected to the mains power. In these circumstances you're supposed to remove the battery until it's needed. The battery will then have a much longer working life.

If you do have to replace the battery, don't make the mistake of buying a cheap third-party compatible one. They almost always cause problems and may even damage the laptop, so it's false economy to buy them.

shellc0d3r

shellc0d3r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks.. But It only runs when its connected through the powercord.. it doesnt even try to start when its running on the battery.. and still does that when connected to the power so..

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
The laptop works randomly while connected the power cord but never form the battery. The pc will run sometimes and shut down without warning. Do you ever get a blue screen? Try this. when the pc does start see if you can move the connection for the power cord in the back of the laptop. Try gently moving it back and forth and see if the power cuts off immediately after doing so. What kind of laptop is it? what is the model # and how old is it. Does the time and date ever change once you get the laptop running? Has the laptop ever been dropped ?