Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Going Black and Multiple Bluescreen Errors, XP

• Please log in to reply

wagjag

wagjag

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I am not very computer savvy and have been at this trying to figure it out myself for MANY hours so I'll be as thorough as possible here:

Dell Dimension 4600, XP Professional v.2002 sp3,Intel Pentium 4, 2.66GHz,1.50G RAM....run Avast Free AV, MBAM, Zonealarm FW, and use Advance SystemCare and CCleaner (all things I learned about here a few years ago) so I keep the system very clean and running fast. I have been running this set up for a few years with no problems at all. Suddenly 2 nights ago I noticed little sort of glitchy, black lines of like distortion sort of randomly shooting on the screen and it would then go black for a sec or two but come right back just fine. This happened several times and then I was booted. Last night and all day today this has really increased unbelievably and it is really impractical to even use the system at this point. I have also received several different blue screen erros, probably about 8 times total, and have two of the codes, I recorded the first and the last and it seems that the codes have pretty much been different every time.

The first Blue Screen talked about hardware/software being properly installed and checking for windows updates, driver verifier, corrupting driver, enable special pool. Go to Safe Mode to remove or disable components. If this is the 1st time seeing this Stop Error Screen restart computer, if get screen again do this....If problem continues disable/remove new hard/software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing...***STOP: 0x000000c5 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8054BBB4)

The last Blue Screen looked more like this : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP: 0X000000D1 (0x010002B3, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xB9BA0D41) nv4_mini.sys_Address B9BA 0D41
base at B9B3A000, Datestamp 3f90571c

I really can't remember downloading any new software other than maybe updates of applications I already use. No new hardware or anything so I can't put my finger on anything that has changed. Really just seems to have come out of the blue.

I AM able to Boot into Safe Mode which some seem to think is important based on my research. I also did get into BIOS but couldn't find the shadow or caching mentioned in the Stop Error though from what I've read this likely doesn't help anyhow.

I did the F12 Diagnostic test...I think. I ran the IDE Drive test and got a "pass". I tried to do the Utility Partition one as suggested in my reading but as soon as I clicked on the option it just took me to my desktop and nothing happend...I tried this twice with same result.

I downloaded and attempted to do the Windows Debugger based on my reading, however when I went into the minidump folder it was empty and so there was nothing I could "debug"...it was a dead end based on the tutorial I saw for this.

I think I've given you everything I can think of as possibly relevant. I have very low maintenance habits with the system really, surfing web, email, word documents and lots of online poker. Don't watch a whole lot of videos and never do any fileswapping or anything...again, very safety minded to past malware infection. My ISP is TimeWarner Roadrunner high speed cable connection and I think I have the fastest or second fastest connection they have available. Sorry if I've gone on too much but I learned last time around here that the more information the better for you guys. Please help me sort this out. The issue definitely seems to be escalating and things are much worse today than they were last night. Oh, I don't think the monitor is the issue at all as it is a very nice Samsung, only a few years old, and I'm very anal about turning it off when not in use so it really doesn't have a whole lot of use on it. Thanks for your time guys, tried my best to figure this out on my own but I really just don't have the experience yet and just seem to keep hitting dead end after dead end.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP: 0X000000D1: Typically caused by a bad or 'buggy' device driver, and the fact that you can start Windows in Safe Mode would seem to confirm that, since in Safe Mode Windows doesn't load any third-party drivers, only the bare minimum of internal drivers required for Windows to run.

If you can recall installing a driver recently (or a device whose software installs a driver), that will most likely be the offending driver and it should be uninstalled whilst you are in Safe Mode.

wagjag

wagjag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thanks for the input Phil. That's the thing. I really don't recall downloading anything in the last few days. I think there was an update to a poker site that I play on. I did delete that just in case but I wasn't in safe mode. Don't think that would be it as I've never had problems with any of the other updates there and no one else has reported problems that I've seen. Is there a log somewhere that will show me my downloads or things I've installed and when? By the way, having uninstalled that update ( again, I wasn't in Safe mode)I'm still experiencing the issues. Any other suggestions please?

wagjag

wagjag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
For anyone interested I took the system to a local shop for a free diagnostic test as it got progressively worse. The result was that the video card had gone bad. The tech removed it. Brought it home and plugged monitor into the onboard video chip included on this system and all is fine. Problem completely gone.