Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Hard Drive Issue

• Please log in to reply

stryfe1986

stryfe1986

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have been using my computer completeley fine but i got home one day and it keep givig me Critical Errors stating that a Hard Drive is missing, yet I only have one. exact message is "Hard Drive not found.Missing Hard Drive" when I click on this a program opens up called HDD Diagnostic which I am assuming is scanning my computer for errors with the hardrive. Now this looks very similiar to the Anti-spyware Virus so I havent used that program that has been installed.

any ideas to confirm this a virus and way to remove?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Make and model please. If it is a branded computer - it may indeed be the OEM HDD diagnostics, built into many OEM.
If it is a generic build then unless a diagnostic programe has been installed and configured to run on boot, then when you booted you would on the post screen receive a message "NO SYSTEM DISC FOUND" insert system disc and reboot - or similar.

If it is branded post the make and model

If it is generic, on post screen keep tapping F2 to enter setup (normally F2) it will tell you on post screen - To enter setup press ?.

When in setup is the HDD seen and recognised there.

stryfe1986

stryfe1986

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Right now its working perfectly normal, no more pop ups, its as if nothing happened, the make is Dell Dimension 8400

I have never seen this HDD Diagnostic software. It has caused my pc to reboot though, but it has always booted up all the way, I just get a bunch of pop ups. (also when i mean pop ups, i mean the small ones that pop up on the bottom right of the screen coming out of the icons by the clock)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Open My computer, right click the HDD carrying the Wiundows, normally C drive. Click Properies, click Tools, click error checking, click check now.
Click to check BOTH boxes - automatically fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
Click Start.
You will receive message to run on restart. Agree to do so.
Restart the computer.
The check is a five stage process and wil take some time.
DO NOT INTERRUPT IT.
When it has finished if you do not have time to read the results do this.
Go Control Panel, Administrative functions, event viewer and click on the application in the left pane
When that opens scroll on the mian window from the top to the FIRST winlogon entry.
Double click that entry, it will be the chkdsk results.
Please examine them, does it record any bad sectors found.
Does it record that errors were fixed, apart from minor inconsistencies, about which there is normally no need to worry.

If it records that bad sectors were found this is usually an indication that your HDD is failing.
If you have any questions, please post the results you can do this by pressing the print screen key, when the results are displayed and then
go Start, programs, accessories, paint and when paint opens, click the edit tab and then paste.
The chkdsk results ill then appear in paint.
Then click the file tab and save as. A window will open and the default type is Bitmap. This is too large to attach to your reply.
Click the arrow to the right of that box and a choice list will open select JPEG.
Save the file and then attach it to your reply.