Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File not found on server 404

• Please log in to reply

Rac_hel

Rac_hel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi
Not sure if I'm posting in right forum but here we go.
I am trying to view a web page from my home computer via a wireless router, I have a printer and my i phone also routed. A certain page that I am trying to view in a browser gives a 404 error. Yet I can view the pages from another computer. I know the files are on the server as I have checked my remote files. I have tried taking down my firewall, disconnected all other devices through the router so only my laptop is connected, and have tried using Chrome, firefox and IE to view these pages. Something is blocking these pages somewhere I have also tried taking off the routers security but still have the same ' file not found on the server'
Has anybody got any ideas what I try next?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A 404 error is generated by the website in question, not by the browser you're using. This would be the case on all computers. The 404 or Not Found error message is a standard response code indicating that the client was able to communicate with the server, but the server could not find what was requested. 404 errors should not be confused with "server not found" or similar errors, in which a connection to the destination server could not be made at all.

Are you sure you're not receiving a 403 or a 500 error instead?

Edited by Neil Jones, 09 December 2010 - 03:51 PM.