Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install just hangs

• Please log in to reply

nikstoy

nikstoy

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi, whenever I try and install ANYTHING is starts and then just stalls. If I cancel and try it again, it might get alittle farther. Updates are current, I've ran malwarebytes and only had 3 things come back and I deleted them. Still doesn't help. Also the other problem I am having is playing a game on facebook. I go to the application and it just has a black screen, doesn't load. Google says I have the latest version of Abobe flash player. Other than those two things, my computer is fine, not slow, no pop ups nothing.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Open My computer, right click the hard drive carrying Windows, normally C drive, click properties, click the tools tab, click error checking, click check now, click to check the box automatically fix file system errors, click start and agree the message to run on restart.
Do so, do not interrupt the process.
Then post back when you have done this please.

nikstoy

nikstoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just tried it and it says that is cannot be performed because disk task needs exclusive access to windows, and can only be done on a restart.. Do I want to do this upon next restart.... (something like that.) Do I put yes and then restart my computer??

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Yes, you'll want to restart the computer.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

click start and agree the message to run on restart.

Yes indeed as per my post quote above and the reply from Spyderturbo007

When you have done that go Start, Control Panel, administrative functions,event viewer, click application in left hand pane and on the main window find the first winlogon entry going from the top. Double click that, this will be your chkdsk results. Was anything found apart from a few minor file inconsistencies. If so post the results.

If all is OK there, apart from what I have inidcated go start, programs.
If you are using IE go accessories, system tools and find the IE with no add-ons. Start IE from there and see if the problem is solved.

If you are using Firefox find that in the programs and hold the mouse on the Mozilla Firefox, there will be an entry Mozilla Firefox Safe mode. Start Firefox therre and check now on that.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 December 2010 - 09:13 AM.

nikstoy

nikstoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok, I did that... when it restarted it said system configuration I said ok..... was something supposed to scan or show something??

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK I did what please.

When you agreed to run the diskcheck on retstart and restarted the system, by the usual method of start, Turn off and then restart, you should have then received a screen which said diskcheck is due to start in
so many seconds. etc. You do not click anything you just let it run.

Go back and follow my instructions please and check again.
DISK CHECK
There are a number of ways of running chkdsk in Windows.
1 Open My Computer, right click the HDD carrying Windows, click Properties
Click the Tools tab
Click Error Checking
Click Check Now
Click to check the box - automatically fix file system errors
Click Start Agree to run on restart and do so.
DO NOT INTERRUPT the chkdsk, doing so may well corrupt the file system, or at worse render the HDD useless.
If you cannot read the results, or have left the computer unattended to complete the check, then go Control Panel, Administrative functions, Event Viewer, Application and scroll down to the Winlogon entry. Double click that entry and you will see the results.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 December 2010 - 09:22 AM.

nikstoy

nikstoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok I am at work now. But I did do this....Open My computer, right click the hard drive carrying Windows, normally C drive, click properties, click the tools tab, click error checking, click check now, click to check the box automatically fix file system errors, click start and agree the message to run on restart.

It restarted. it gave me a message that my config. had been changed. i hit ok....desktop came up. It did not show me diskcheck is is about to start........,

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go start, run and type "cmd" without quotes.
A command prompt window will open.
at the prompt type "chkdsk c: /f" again without quotes.
Press enter
agree the message to run on restart.
Try it that way as here.
3. Chkdsk can also be run from the Start, Run and type cmd. And is then run from the cmd prompt using basically
Chkdsk c: /f checks the file system
Chkdsk c: /r as above, but also scans for and attempts recovery of bad sectors.
Again if the disk being checked is in use you will receive a message to run on restart. Type Y and press enter then type exit and press enter.
Then restart the computer.

USE just the /f please and note pace between chkdsk and c: and c: and f.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 December 2010 - 11:19 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Windows Installer 4.5 from here. If you run windows XP 32 bit download the last item on the list. Boot in safe mode and try to install the downloaded file. If successful, reboot in normal mode and see if the problem is solved.