Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer hangs for a few seconds when clicking large external drives

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
little annoyance i have a external esata drive and recently it has been hiccuping when first plugged in. after it is plugged in it will detect the drive almoast imediatly after it spinns up but as soon as i open the root of the drive explorer will hang for 5-10 seconds and there will be no disk activity and than it just starts working again

i wonder if it has to do with the sheer size of the drive and the fact that there are so many directory trees. but than if it was hanging because it was reading the directory tree there would be more activity.

little update i found if i navigate directly to a subfolder on the drive without passing over the root directory explorer will not hang at all it only seems to happen the first time you open the root of the drive after mounting the volume

Edited by mikeloeven, 08 December 2010 - 08:17 PM.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Can you provide the brand of external drive you are inquiring about? The first thing I would do is run the manufacturers' disk check on the drive.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 09 December 2010 - 07:59 AM.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
thats the first thing i tried the disk is clean and doesent do this on other computers it seems to be a windows explorer thing

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I wonder if this might help in your situation? It's worth a shot and you can always turn the service back on if it doesn't work.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
iam asuming wia is the service that reads picture files and generates the thumbnail view. considering explorer hangs on opening the root of the drive but not when opening a folder on the drive i belive it may have somthing to do with a shell extension in explorer but i have no idea what one.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I just stopped the WIA service on my machine and it still generated thumbnails when I opened one of my picture folders. According to the service description it handles scanner and camera interaction. I plugged in my iPhone and the Transfer Picture Wizard did not fire, so that must be what it does. Did you try turning it off as a test?