Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Connect to Internet

• Please log in to reply

redglare

redglare

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am unable to get online and wonder if I have some sort of virus. The cable company says my cable modem is fine. When I connect another computer to the modem I can connect without a problem. I would appreciate if someone can help me correct what ever is wrong with my computer.
The cable company said my computer will not renew an IP address. I’ve spent hours with them by phone trying to release and renew an IP address which still comes up as 000.000.000.000. Please help. Thanks.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Something doesn't sound right to me. Every time I've seen a machine unable to renew an IP address you end up with a 169.x.x.x address, but you are getting all zeros.

If you suspect you are infected, I would go here and ask for advice. Once you are given a clean bill of health, stop back here if you still can't connect. This very well written Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide should help as well.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 09 December 2010 - 08:37 AM.

redglare

redglare

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Spyderturbo007,

I've spent the last two evenings working with the assistance of online help. The person helping me said he didn't see any spyware or malware in my posts. I've run a whole host of diagnostic and cleaning tools and ws given a clean bill of health. However, I'm still where I started and cannot get online.

I have a desk computer that is connected directly to a cable modem. The cable company says he signal to me is good. I can verify this by connecting my laptop to the cable modem. With my laptop I have no problem connecting to the internet. This has led me to believe I have a hardware problem or hopefully a setting that needs to be corrected. I don't have a separate network card - its built in to the motherboard.

Will you please offer some guidance on where to go from here? I'm not sure what I need to do.

Thanks, Redglare

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Did you try to uninstall the network card and then reinstall it?

redglare

redglare

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I found how to uninstall it. Before I do that how do I reinstall it? Thanks for your help.

Edited by redglare, 10 December 2010 - 11:49 PM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
When windows restarts it will detect it and it should reinstall it as well as the drivers. post back after you test it.

redglare

redglare

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
D-Berd,
After restarting the computer, I now have a yellow exclamation mark on the network controller that I didn't have before. I was prompted to install the nForce installation CD. It search for the driver and then said it could not locate a better driver than what existed. I now have a Code 10 error. I can't connect to the internet to search for a newer driver. Is it possible the NIC is bad? What do you do in the case that it goes bad, but is built into our mother board?
Thanks.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
What is the make and model # number of your pc? We don't know the card is bad. there may be other issues involved. We need to try some other tests.

Edited by D-Berd, 11 December 2010 - 01:20 AM.

redglare

redglare

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The computer was built for me so it isn't a particular brand. The motherboard is an ASUS M2N-E. The network card is an NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller. I disabled it and installed an old network card which has now allowed me to get online finally. It works but if you have any suggestions about repairing the NVIDIA nForce card I would like to try. Thanks!

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Now that you're able to connect to the internet you should go do a windows update and check if there are updated drivers for your system.

The other option is to go into device manager again while your still connected to the internet and right click on the net card and select update driver. try that and post back.

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us this page has the latest drivers for your motherboard. Up at the top left type in the model # m2n-e

Edited by D-Berd, 11 December 2010 - 03:49 PM.

Advertisements

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Redglare,
Have you also tried downloading the driver from the Asus site, uninstalling the old driver, then reinstalling the one you downloaded?

redglare

redglare

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I went to the site but did not know how to find the right driver. If I did, would I be able to transfer it from another computer via a USB drive?

I installed a network card from an old computer and it worke great. I disabled it to run a test on the old network card and now they are both down! Same symptoms for each.

Please advise how to select proper driver for the original nForce card and I'll try it.

Thanks!

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Go here if you don't know how to use system restore. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084 when you're finish or if there is a problem post back.

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
redglare,
You mentioned that you disabled the replacement card. I assume you did this through the device manager? If so can you re-enable it in the same way and see if it starts working again? If not..... try to uninstall it, reboot, then windows should find it and install a driver.

If you don't know how to get into device manager
  • Right Click on my computer
  • Choose properties
  • Click on the Hardware Tab
  • Click Device Manager
  • Right Click on the Device and then enable or uninstall.

When we identify the correct driver on the Asus site, you should be able to use it from a USB drive. You said you have the disc for your motherboard right? Is this the motherboard you have? With the NVIDIA nForce® 570 Ultra™ MCP built-in Gigabit MAC with external Marvell PHY?

Sent you a message.

Edited by Mdenton45, 11 December 2010 - 05:16 PM.

redglare

redglare

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
D-Berd and Mdenton45 - you guys rock! Thanks guys, I'm back in business. It wasn't pretty, but I somehow managed to reinstall the network driver. I couldn't identify exactly which driver was the right one and tried a couple. I've rebooted everything several times and I think everything is back like it should be. I appreciate all of your help and especially your patience with my limited computer skills. Thanks for sticking with me.

RedGlare