Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to detect HDD on Bootup

• Please log in to reply

rabien

rabien

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi all,

recently I exchanged my motherboard with my distributor because it has turned faulty.

Upon receiving the new motherboard, I faced some problems:
1) On the 2nd day that I boot up my computer, my motherboard was unable to detect my HDD.
2) I tried testing the HDD and it is perfectly fine. No such issues tested on another computer.
3) After reseting the CMOS, the HDD was detected and the boot is fine again.
4) After switching off for the day and powering up the next day, the same problem occurs again and is fixed by resetting the cmos.

The bios is loaded, but HDD not detected therefore cannot enter windows. After jumping the cmos and boot up, everything works perfectly fine.

What could cause such an issue and how do I fix it? Could it be a motherboard or processor problem?

Current Rig Specs:
MSI 870A G54 + AMD Phenon II X4 955
Team Elite Ram 1333MHz 2 x 2gb
Palit GTX 460
Seasonic M12II 520W

Thanks in advance!

Edited by rabien, 09 December 2010 - 12:04 AM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
After resetting your CMOS do you make sure you save your new BIOS settings.

Did you try to replace your motherboard battery.

rabien

rabien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I always save my bios settings.

I have yet to replace the battery, will try it soon. However, When booting up, the bios settings are the same as the last boot up, just that it doesn't seem to detect the hdd. Could it still be a battery issue?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Between the CMOS battery and the SATA1 connector on a MSI 870A-G54 motherboard, is a jumper location labelled "JBAT1". The jumper that's on this should be shorting pins 1 and 2, [not 2 and 3].

rabien

rabien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
yes, I know that. If it is shorting 2 and 3, my 870a g54 will fail post.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If a new CMOS battery doesn't solve the problem, you may have a flaky motherboard.

rabien

rabien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Looks like it. Got a new cmos battery a day ago. Well I wouldn't say it didn't help the problem.

Just that this time instead of resetting the cmos, I only need to reset the computer for it to detect the hdd. What a chore.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If it's now detecting the hard drive ok, what else is wrong?

rabien

rabien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
It does not detect the HDD on the first boot up. I need to reset it once before it detects the hdd. That's the thing wrong.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It is normal that after you changed the battery that on the first boot you have to reset your CMOS, the test is the next boot after if it still does detect the HD or not.

Advertisements

rabien

rabien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I think I haven't made myself clear:

1) Replaced Battery
2) Start up first boot did not detect hdd
3) Restart detected hdd.
4) Powered down for the day
5) 2nd day, start up did not detect hdd
6) Restart detect HDD
7) Repeat and loop step 4 to 6

I had not reset my cmos since i replaced the battery. What i meant by reset is the reset button on your chassis.

Edited by rabien, 12 December 2010 - 07:51 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Every time you say you have to reset do you have to reset the Time and Date also, if no then your battery is functioning properly, if your hard drive is not detected then the problem lies elsewhere.

If I understand all you need to do is hit the reset on your Computer case and it detects your HD, the problems then might be that on first boot your hard drive does not initiate itself properly, maybe the power to your HD or the IDE or SATA connectors that have problem initializing after a long cold boot down.

Try resetting your connections to your HD.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Sounds like the hard drive isn't spinning up fast enough from a cold start.

Check in the CMOS/BIOS Setup and see if there is a setting that tells the computer to wait a bit longer for the hard drive.

wyswys

wyswys

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem. If I switch off the computer more than 6 hour, I cannot boot up my computer. I have to either cut-off the power supply or press the on/off power to switch off the computer. Then switch on the computer again, everything would be OK. I try to replace a new one from the agent but have the same problem.

I use different hard disc (IDE and SATA), CPU (AMD 555BE, 640 and 645), power supply (Antec/cooler master/Delta) and ram (kingston/A-Data) to test the mainboard, but I got the same result. Don't know what to do.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Sounds like the Motherboard is flaky and needs to be replaced.