Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hot swap problems

• Please log in to reply

Ramaddil

Ramaddil

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hot Swap Problems
I have Windows 7 Installed and recently bought some hot swap bays for my computer. I installed the bays and ran the necessary cords to them but It will not recognize the drive unless i restart the computer.

From what I read it has something to do with AHCI in the Bios.. I am Running Windows 7 on this machine and have tried to enable it in the bios, and also manually change the registry key to no avail..

When I enable AHCI in my Bios on my GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H mother board it gets to Verifying DMI data and hangs at this point and will not do anything else. I have to restart this and disable AHCI in order to boot to windows again.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be most appreciated. From what I read some people tend to think that you have to do a fresh install in order for this to be accomplished but I do not want to do that if it is not needed.

The Registry Key that I read that needed to be changed is \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentcontrolSet\services\msahci \ then modify the start key from "3" to "0".

Again if anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

I also have tried the Microsoft fix it tool for this it has same result it hangs at verifying dmi data pool.

Advertisements