Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format 1TB to Fat32

• Please log in to reply

draven1198

draven1198

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok I just bought a Toshiba USB 3.0 1TB external HD but it won't format to FAT32..... I got the dang thing to put all my BR movies on cause I'm about to move and want some entertainment on the plane! It'd be nice to play them on my PS3 as well so I don't have to switch out disks and all that, just navigate and hit play!

Only prob is I only see NTFS and exFAT in my options to format it. I found online SwissKnife as a program that's raved about but I don't wanna pay for the premium edition since I'll only be using it once.... (I hope). I tried using the cmd prompt to format it and after 2hrs of formating it comes back saying the disk is too large...... not happy.

Any suggestions out there??

J

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
FAT32 does not do 1tb drives. You will have to do it in NTFS to get the full drive.
The Microsoft topic HERE explains the limitations and even mentions the exact error message you are getting..

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi draven1198,

Besides what rshaffer61 says I'm interested to know why you would need it for BR files?
FAT32 does not support files bigger than 4GB and to my knowledge BR files are bigger than 4GB...
A normal DVD is already 4.36GB or close to it.

So even if you could format into FAT32, it would still be useless for the goal intended.

Mythio