Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade window me to window xp

• Please log in to reply

kiannas22

kiannas22

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have a window me computer by nec brand and i want to wipe the hard drive clean to install a window xp. how do i do this? i have the cd for window xp and the key # so what to do? thanks. i would like to keep in touch through email for further help in computer upgrade. also to find a online job that is not a scam and would work from home thanks.

Edited by kiannas22, 09 December 2010 - 04:35 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi kiannas22
You will first of all need to check and possibly change the boot sequence to CD/DVD first and HDD second;
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL or F8 button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will be prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and then place the XP disk in the drive and restart the computer, follow the on screen instructions, good idea formatting the HDD before installing XP as it will ensure a clean installation.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should make sure there are drivers available for XP for your system before attempting this upgrade. :D
Nothing worse then doing the upgrade and finding out your sound or internet won't work.
I'm sure Phill would have mentioned this also as the advise usually given is very good. ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You should make sure there are drivers available for XO for your system before attempting this upgrade. :D
Nothing worse then doing the upgrade and finding out your sound or internet won't work.
I'm sure Phill would have mentioned this also as the advise usually given is very good. ;)

Thank you rshaffer61 ;)

kiannas22

kiannas22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thanks phillpower2.

my only problem now is getting in bios cause on this nec window me computer is locked. will need password but i have no idea what it is or how to skip this password and get into bios. thanks to show me step by step on how to do this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome for my previous assistance but I am sorry I cannot help you bypass passwords.
Read the Terms of Use and you will understand why and thank you for your understanding.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we at G2G do not assist in bypassing past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

kiannas22

kiannas22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
okay.
is there another way to clean the harddrive without going through bios? i have the cd so i could just put it in and install window xp and it should work right? if you put in a completely new parts inside the computer, will i still have the problem with bios that needed a password to login? thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

if you put in a completely new parts inside the computer, will i still have the problem with bios that needed a password to login? thanks.

Depends on what you mean by New Parts
New MOBO then no because everything would be factory setup and you would have in essence a brand new system then.
Replacing a Memory, HD or optical drive will not fix the problem as it is related to the motherboard.
The other issue will be that once you replace the motherboard you realistically will have to format and load a new OS since the existing one is for the most part married to the motherboard that is in the system now. If you are going to go through all that then you might as well go to Win 7 with the better security it has.
Since you brought this up are you seriously thinking of updating and if so what would your budget be for the parts?
What is going to be the main use of the system in the end? Office, Internet or Gaming?
It will make a difference on the parts you would want to purchase. ;) ;) :D