Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet problems

• Please log in to reply

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Every time I have problems with my PC and I contact my server, they shft the responsibility to either MSN, or me or a program I am running.

Right now I am experiencing these internet problems:

The window opens with text and pictures so small, they cannot be read.
If I use the zoon option I have to keep doing it to get material large to read and by then a widow will open saying 'this site has expired'.

I try to sent a link to an internet page to a friend and they tell me that nothing came through by my text explaining the link.

Have protection programs and I keep pop up blocker turned on but it is so intrusive that I cannot surf the web because have to keep turning it off for a site or alloing for a site and then when I go back to the site - it is gone and another window has replaced it.

Can you help by explaning what I might be doing wrong or is it in fact my server which is Time Warner.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
IE. Mozillla Firefox, Safari etc. which one please.
Anti-virus - which one.
Firewall - which one Windows or another.

In spite of all the difficulties does it always open with your Home Page or does it go to another page that you have not asked for.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
No it will usually go to the home page but that is often so small cannot read it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK but answer the questions please, otherwise we are going no where fast.

If the text on your screen seems too small, you may be able to enlarge it. Instructions for adjusting font sizes on several different browsers are provided below.

Internet Explorer
1. From the View menu, select "Text Size."
2. From "Text Size," choose from smallest, smaller, medium, larger, or largest.
Medium is the installed default.

Firefox
1. From the View menu, select the "Increase text size" option
2. Alternative method: From the Tools menu, select "options," select the "fonts and colors" button, and choose the "minimum font size."

Netscape and Mozilla
1. From the View menu, select the "Text zoom" item.
2. From "Text zoom," choose from smaller, larger, or a predefined percentage value.
100% is the installed default.

Opera
1. From the View menu, select the "Zoom" item.
2. From "Zoom," choose from predefined percentage values or percentage changes.
The default is 100%.

Safari
1. From the Preferences menu, select "Advanced."
2. From the "Advanced" menu, select the checkbox to "never use fonts smaller than the selected size."
3. Choose a font size from the pop-up menu.

HOWEVER I need the answers to the three questions

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 December 2010 - 03:48 PM.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Am using IE, Avast and Windows firewall.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
have you now tried the text size in the link above. Rather than the one set zoom size., which reverts back.
If so and it did not work go start, programs, accessories, system tools and start IE with no add=ons from there.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Download Firefox and see if you have the same problem http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Try this with IE Hold down the the "Ctrl" key and at the same time use your wheel mouse and turn the wheel up and down and you can increase and decrease the text and picture size.

Edited by D-Berd, 10 December 2010 - 08:46 PM.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Will try the suggestion you just made about disabling add ons. Hope that it works. Will let you know how I do or if it fails to alter the problem.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
That is a neat trick D-Bird. Have never heard of that. Will follow the first suggestion first and then keep trying the mouse Ctrl idea. Keep the site posted how I make out.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
That should be the first thing you try when you turn the pc on....Then when you get it to the size you want then shut the browser down and open it again to test it. then reboot the pc and see if it holds.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Ah - OK did not do the reboot so will go around again and see how things go. Thanks for following through with me. Again keep you all posted.