Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My home network fails after another computer gets onto wifi

• Please log in to reply

Knit Knots

Knit Knots

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It's a little difficult to describe the issue, but whenever I turn on my laptop, the connection to my family rooms' connection will either crap out and go incredibly slow while mine is normal speed. My mom's laptop sometimes has this problem, but it seems to happen often with the family room. I used to think it was the signal strength (the family room is about 20 feet away), but whenever I turn on my ps3 the connection goes bonkers and either the ps3 will not connect or it will connect and my laptop shows that I am no longer connected to my network. Other times, my connection to my laptop will just shut off without me touching a thing. TO further describe the issue: whenever I come back home from college (I usually stay in my dorm for the school week), my family claims he connection is fine, but once I turn on my laptop, the family room computer's connection becomes incredibly slow.

My current solution has been to take out the power plug of my router for 30 seconds and plug it back in (this usually works with the computers and laptops, but not the ps3). I feel that there is a better solution, but I do not know what it is. Plus, I feel that plugging the cord in and out will ruin the router.

Here is my network info:

Modem - Arris modem model TM602G (provided by Comcast - my internet provider)
Router - Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router w/ 4 port switch, Model WRT54 G. The only ethernet ports being used are the ones connecting my modem to router and ps3 to the router (I thought this would help my ps3 because its the system that has connection issues the most).

Computer info:

Asus Laptop with Windows 7
HP Laptop with Windows 7
Desktop with Windows Vista
Asus EeePC Netbok (used occasionally when I do not want to lug around my other laptop)

If you need any more info, please let me know, I really want to solve this issue. Thanks!!

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Go into your laptop and uninstall the network card. Reboot the pc and try it. You can do this by clicking on start and then in the search field or the run option type in DEVMGMT.MSC you should see the device manager icon in the search results of for the run box it should bring up device manager. Once in device manager look for "network adapters and find the wireless one for your pc. right click on it and select uninstall. then reboot and try the connection again. if you have wireless security on the router then you will have to reconfigure this on your laptop. You may want to try this on the other computers as well. the other option is to go into the router and make sure universal plug and play is enabled.

Knit Knots

Knit Knots

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, so firstly I checked to see the UPnP settings (I wanted to do this before going through the first option). Everything was fine there so I uninstalled the network cards for all the computers on the network, rebooted every one, and reconfigured the settings. Then I shut down the desktop in the family room, turned both the ps3 and desktop and tried it out.

What happened was the connection to family room desktop was slow and the ps3 had issues connecting. When I finally got the ps3 to connect, the network and shiring icon on my laptop said I was not connected to any network. Could there be something wrong with my router? Should I get a new one?

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Try this. Shut down all the computers and the ps3 then shut down the router and the modem. wait one minute and then first turn on the modem. Wait a minute and then turn on the router and wait a minute. Then turn on only one pc and test the connection.

If it works out for the one pc then turn on the other computers one at a time and test them.

If this does not work then you may have to try resetting the router with the reset button on the back of the router. This will set it back to factory defaults. (post back before you do this)