Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC only starts in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

nottmdude

nottmdude

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My PC is only running in safe mode.

Last thing i did was

Start > run > type cmd then enter > then in dos prompt type ipconfig /flushdns > you will see message like this

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

For Vista and Windows7:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. Rt-click on it and 'Run As Administrator'. Type the following and hit enter:

ipconfig /flushdns

You should be able to see a confirmation dialog window:

Don't know if this has caused it or not ?

I've done a system restore to an earlier point but still does not start up in normal mode.

Any pointers people ?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The ability to start Windows in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode usually means a device driver is causing the problem, since in Safe Mode no third-party drivers are loaded - so one of those drivers is the probably the culprit.

If you recently installed or updated a driver, uninstall it (or use "Roll back driver" in Device Manager if it's one you recently updated) whilst in Safe Mode. Then try starting Windows normally.