Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building new computer

• Please log in to reply

Snottz

Snottz

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower
BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Blue
Windows 7 Home x64 bit
Build costed $645 USD(Parts only) From Newegg
Any info on computer compatability, problems I might have, What I need to do at startup and so forth..... Thnx Snottz

Edited by Snottz, 11 December 2010 - 02:10 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Snottz :D
This tutorial by Troy and Artellos will help you with the build http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/
Not a bad rig you have put together but you have omitted one very important component, a good quality PSU, once you have reached a final decision on all the other components use a PSU calculator such as the Corsair one at the attached link http://www.corsair.c...er/default.aspx this will ensure you do not knowingly purchase an under power unknown brand.
Would you consider spending a bit more on the MB and getting one that had two pci-e X16 slots which would give you the option at a later date to run the HD 5770 in crossfire, also does the HDD have a large enough storage capacity for you, again would you consider spending a bit more and purchasing two HDDs, a smaller one to have your OS on a partition and data on the rest of the space and a second HDD for storage only, this would enable you to back everything up regularly, the second HDD can be fitted anytime it is only because you are building from scratch that I have suggested it, I hope this helps you with your plans.

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Used the power supply configurator..gives me crosair PSU from 450w-650w. Assuming my Raidmax 630w should be plenty and all connectors from It are plenty with room for extras down the line of my build. As far as SLI as u said I wouldn't mind running It but ATM I'm trying to stay on a budget a little bit. On the HDD being I might need more Gig's for now It will do the job and towards the future I'll throw in a bigger HDD for storage.. Thnx again on the info from all this definatly a helper .

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No worries I am always happy if I am able to help :D
Yes the Raidmax will do the job nicely, it is not one of the better known brands but the reviews I have just read were mostly positive with only the odd failure.
Completely understand about the budget and your approach is sensible, had the new MB cost more than $100 purchasing one with crossfire ability would definitely have been the way to go but as it goes a single HD 5770 is more than capable, here are some reviews http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150447
Good luck with the build and let us know if you require any assistance in the future.

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Indeed on the Raidmax doing the job, but on the subject of a better brand. Do you have any suggestions with a different more reliable and stable PSU with close to Watts ? Also went with the Raidmax cause of the reviews comming back from a majority with no problems except a few with DOA's and burning out in a few months, but that could also be there build with not having the right PSU and pushing the Raidmax more than it can handle plsu other variable to kill it. Any info and feedback helps me furthur on the build especially being first time builder. I have been doing a lot of research into building my first computer on compatiblity, O/C, future upgrades. Ohh and on the video card how would u rate it on it's ability's cause I'm still stuck on stream processors, shaders, core mhz, etc. Feedback on that and some better understanding on how to help find a good video card as far as spec would be nice. Also video cards and differences from Nvidia and Ati Radeon, Which is better or is it more preference on what u like ?

Thnx, Snottz

Edited by Snottz, 11 December 2010 - 11:59 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
My choice is Corsair but there are other quality brand names out there, Antec, OCZ or Thermaltake as examples.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139019
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139005

Ohh and on the video card how would u rate it on it's ability's cause I'm still stuck on stream processors, shaders, core mhz, etc

Do not get bogged down with all the jargon it will make choosing a card more difficult, the more MHz the faster the card, the more memory a card has also helps performance as it is not reliant on the system Ram, reading reviews and comparing prices will help you choose.
I have read on a number of occasions that Nvidea work better with Intel and ATI with AMD but Ive seen no proof so cannot comment, I recommend the Nvidea Fermi range of cards all the time but I have an Intel CPU in one computer and a Sapphire Radeon card and I have never had any problems.
On your present PSU I would say if it has never given you any problems do not change it until you are considering going crossfire, then consider an upgrade to 750W.

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Raidmax I'll keep until I upgrade in the future with a new Mobo, Ram, Cpu, etc. then I'll go with the upgrade 750w+ depending and I'll most likely be trying the Crosair cause I have been eyeballing those PSU. I'll be looking into researching the video cards and checking more on what u suggested in choosing, but I think I will be sticking with the ATI Jupiter for now It got good reviews and as from your perspective I believe ATI might work better with AMD according to some reviews(will be looking into It). As far as that time to start gathering those parts review more and get this thing going within the next 2 weeks. Will keep posted on how it turns out and things go with all parts. All info is helpful thanks again. Be back soon :D

Thnx, Snottz

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Was considering a cheaper budget build but unsure what to think of it as far as playing online games(WOW, EQ2, Age of Conan), just to name a few. Here's what I threw together:
GIGABYTE GA-M68M-S2P AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD
AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Kuma 2.8GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders- OEM
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
EVGA 01G-P3-1235-LR GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
$464 USD
I do know that my other build will blow this one away but is it worth the savings and get good FPS and what not outta games on Highest settings.
Thnx, Snottz :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The video card will let you down!
Here is a slightly more expensive but much better option http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127541

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Indeed I hear you on that one... I think I'm just going to go with my previous build and buy half at a time and will just have to hold off on the gamming for a few months.. Gonne hate it but rather go with a reaslly good Rig than one I'm going to regret.

Edited by Snottz, 13 December 2010 - 10:03 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome thanks for the update, wise decision taking your time with the build I hope it works out ok for you.

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Starting to buy parts but in search of more information on the Ram i have picked out... Timming's how does this work and does the Ram sticks I have going to be set the the timming i want when it comes to getting it's full potential out of them ? Any information on how timming works and how to adjust them once I do install the sticks so I'm performing at peak potential.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Never been one for OC myself so it is unknown territory for me and so I cannot comment.
Here is a guide you may find helpful http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=1804
I will mention that I have assisted people in the past when OC has gone wrong, frying the
Ram and CPU through cranking the voltages too high etc so be careful, always make a note of
what a setting is before you adjust it and if you are not sure please don`t do it.

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I see.... I wouldn't be O/C unless im sure that I can do it without any system problems and further in my abilities to proceed wih O/C. So for now I'll let the system set my ram and what not to It's settings and as I learn more I'll start tweaking small things. On the whole Quad core, Will my computer already have the 4 cores unlocked or do I have to unlock some myself ?

Snottz

Snottz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello again ! Have been in the process of buying my parts...YAY! Changed some stuff around from original build. Took past information and paid a few more dollars and got a bigger HDD and a lil bit better ram sticks. Here's what I got:

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower
BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Blue
Windows 7 Home x64 bit

Have purchased: Case, Power Supply. Grabbing my Motherboard and CPU in a few days ;)

Anymore information on the 2 new parts that I swapped out please feel free to let me know. Price to quality ratio's and such.

Edited by Snottz, 21 December 2010 - 05:33 PM.