Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

randomly disappearing words

• Please log in to reply

bahamut1118

bahamut1118

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm using E4310, E6410, and Optiplex 980 running Windows XP, and every once in a while (often when I'm using Microsoft Word or doing e-mail), a bunch of the text on my page will randomly disappear - like half the words in a paragraph and random bits of sentences on the page. It is happening to a large group of people in this company. Dell says they never heard the problem. We are stumped for what could be teh cause. The text will randomly reappear after a few minutes. It definately has nothing to do with scrolling. It just completely goes missing.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do the words disappear while being typed or late?

Are all these computers connected to a network or are they stand alone?

bahamut1118

bahamut1118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'll use e-mail for example. You open it and they are missing. you hit reply and start typing and they are missing teh whole time even after you hit send and go back to that e-mail. They are on a network. If you need anything else let me know.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem is with the server and not with individual computers. First thing to do is to run a thorough malware scan on both server and end users. The second: If the problems show only with Microsoft Office (is your mail program Microsoft outlook?), it should be uninstalled and reinstalled.

bahamut1118

bahamut1118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I currently don't think it is a virus because it is only happening only these machines. These were recent upgrades from older machines. We have the same models but older and they do not have the problem. I don't think it was microsoft office products only, but I will certainly try both suggestions and see what other programs do it. Thank you I will let you know how it goes.

bahamut1118

bahamut1118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
sap and cisco IP communicator are two other programs experiencing the problem as well as other apps in the office.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The new computers that you installed - do they run on the same operating system as the older machines?

bahamut1118

bahamut1118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
no they came with their own for each. They are still XP though

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
So we have a network of older and newer computers, all with the same operating system, all connected to a central server, and the problem shows only with the new machines. Am I right?

I have never seen this problem before but I think that your line of research should follow this logic: what difference there is between the older and newer machines that cause the problem. For example: do they all have the same set of antimalware programs? Are they all updated to sp-3 and all the updtaes that followed?

Sorry that I can't be more specific. That is really a research that you have to do by yourself, unless another helper who is familiar with the problem can give a specific answer.

Good luck.

bahamut1118

bahamut1118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
What you said is correct. We have been compareing for a few days, but seem to have not found it yet. I was hoping someone here has seen it before. Dell of course never heard of the issue and neither has Intel, so we are narrowing things down a bit. Thanks for the help so far.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

no they came with their own for each. They are still XP though

Hi, I am not sure if this is relevant but I presume these came with XP preinstalled by Dell. I have had problems in the past with manufacturers os installations. I have sometimes resolved issues by installing a standard copy of the os, perhaps Dell & others sometimes modify files ?. Not sure if this is something to look at but it's a thought

bahamut1118

bahamut1118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Actually they came default with windows 7, but teh company is not windows 7 compliant yet so we had to downgrade them back to XP.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you downgraded from 7 to XP, did you clean install the program (formatting the hard disk and then XP fresh installation) or did you run a downgrading process which does not involve the above. Frankly, when it comes to downgrading or upgrading, for that matter, I become very suspicious. I think that an operating system must be installed from scratch and not become as hybrid of new and old.

bahamut1118

bahamut1118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I feel the same way. It is a wipe and start over from nothing.