Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp blinking curser

• Please log in to reply

mnelson670

mnelson670

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have a dell Latitudes laptop with windows xp. Shut down last night ok, but this a.m. I have a flashing curser in the left corner on a black screen. I have only 1 computer, so I cannot transfer programs. Am I dead in the water?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
when does the blinking cursor appear, right after the BIOS post or after windows has started loading or as soon as push on your power button.

When you start the computer do you hear any beeps different from what you usually hear.

Did you try pushing F8 right after the BIOS post and before windows starts to load and then choose to start in safe mode.

Also after you have pressed F8 you may want to first try loading the option last known good configuration.

mnelson670

mnelson670

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi and thanks for the help.
The blinking cursor appears right after I swipe my fingerprint when I turn the system on.

Don't hear any beeps

When I push F8 it gives me only a couple of seconds to choose either F2 or F12. I have tried both, but cannot see a safe mode option nor the last known configuration option.
Thanks

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
the window between when your Bios as finish posting and windows starts to load is very short (1 or 2 seconds).

Can you get into your setup menu (BIOS) either your F2 or F12 key.

What are the option for each Key (F2 F12) setup menu, boot menu, recovery options ect.

On some computer pressing F8 before the BIOS post as finish takes you to the BOOT Order menu, unless on your computer it is the F12 or F2 key.

The F8 key is to access the Windows Advanced Options menu.

If for some reason your Hard drive is not accessible then the F8 option will not be available.