Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange reboots out of nowhere

• Please log in to reply

Talnoy

Talnoy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello geeks!

I've been having a very strange issue with my computer recently.

Seemingly out of nowhere my computer will restart itself randomly. Somtimes it happens when coming off of a screensaver, other times it happens when opening a program (so far it's been triggered by firefox, winamp, windows live messenger, mozilla thunderbird, windows media player, the list goes on). Looking in the event viewer I can see NO logged blue screen errors either. A couple days ago, my video card died and now I'm running on integrated graphics with no hint of the restarts stopping.

A strange thing to note is that - again, randomly - windows will pop up a message saying that a usb device is not recognized...but all my connected devices work :/

Confusing I know, so if you guys need any further info, let me know.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Tainoy.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :D
;) ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

If the above doesn't show the voltages then do the below.

Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished

Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on the Motherboard directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply
On the left side click on the Sensors directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply

http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html

Talnoy

Talnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Swee, here be the speedfan picture:

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.png

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please run the SIW instructions to verify the readings :D

Talnoy

Talnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Oopsie! Here's the info:

Motherboard:

Property Value
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model M4A785-M
Version Rev X.0x
Serial Number 105329600000879

North Bridge AMD 785G Revision 00
South Bridge AMD SB700 Revision 00

CPU AMD Phenom™ 9850 Quad-Core Processor
Cpu Socket Socket AM2+ (940)

System Slots 4 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 16384 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

Attached Thumbnails

• sensors.png

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK temps and voltages verified and within acceptable ranges.
Now lets see if we can find any events to show the issue.

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

Talnoy

Talnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Arg! I must have missed your post a while back and it slipped my mind.

In any case - I keep getting bluescreeen restarts with the following error:

STOP 0x000000FE (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000006, 0x0000000000000006, XFFFFFA80052F7000)

What's that mean?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x000000FE: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
Usually indicates a USB driver problem. Makes sure, though, that you have the latest Windows service pack installed.

Talnoy

Talnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
yeah I always seem to get a message in windows that a USB device has "malfunctioned" but I can't nail down what it is! How do I go about updating the drivers, because i have all the latest updates.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have auto updates setup for Microsoft?
Have you manually gone to Microsoft's Window Update and seen what updates are there?
You need to check for Critical and Optional updates to see what is available.
If you have IE for your browser go up to the Tools and then click on Windows Update

Advertisements

Talnoy

Talnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, I've got auto updates set up, and I've been to the update area to check, windows tells me there are no updates available :S

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then I would connect one USB up and see if that is causing the issue. If not connect the next one in and keep going till you find the one that is causing the error.
IN the meantime please do the following and lets see if we can find it faster.

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to

Start and then click on Run
Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7 . This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

Talnoy

Talnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I found a lot of error messages that all say this:

The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{76078A76-1E99-4E4A-88A8-73D72AEB3DDA}. The backup browser is stopping.

then the detailed view shows:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] BROWSER

- EventID 8032

[ Qualifiers] 49152

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-12-27T20:51:53.000000000Z

EventRecordID 49768

Channel System

Computer Lasher-PC

Security

- EventData

\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{76078A76-1E99-4E4A-88A8-73D72AEB3DDA}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 00000035

In Bytes

0000: 35 00 00 00 5...

Any guesses?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

A strange thing to note is that - again, randomly - windows will pop up a message saying that a usb device is not recognized...but all my connected devices work :/

What devices do you have connected?

Talnoy

Talnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have my printer, keyboard and mouse - that's it :/ and they all work, even when that message comes up. Noothing ever freezes. >_<