Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

multiple BSODS while gaming

• Please log in to reply

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
both of my replacement psu's have been thermaltake tr2-rx 850w (mainly because that is all the local best buy had with the amount of power I was looking for). I would hope that the resulting problem is the indeed the vid card since unless the people assembling the mobo were completely incompetant and both pcie slots yeild the exact same effect, the problem has to be a defect in the vid card.

I have, however, done some research into the psu's I have been using for replacement and found that this particular line has a history of problems. Be it doa, short life, or unprecedented problems that are similar to other problems with other hardware; this psu has had all of that. The best comment I saw on Newegg.com for this product showed it only lasting for about 3 months before it simply stopped working, the worst obviously was multiple versions of the same psu (same customer) all either doa or dead within a day or two. So I wouldn't rule out the psu just yet...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest then changing brands.
My brand of choice is the Corsair like one of these HERE
Though a little more expensive I found them to be very stable and reliable.

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well, I definently ruled out psu's just now. I put in the original psu (which it turns out is made by Rosewill and it is also 850w) and got a bsod when I tried to load up one of my mmo's. Once again it is nv4_disp.dll. So I guess you guys are spot on, it should either be the vid card or the mobo (god I hope its not the mobo).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
let me ask if the game is installed from a original retail disk or is it downloaded or from a burned disk?

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
both mmo's are downloaded. directly after my previous post I was able to fully load into both games. I officially am back to having no clue wth is wrong with my computer :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Downloaded from torrents? :D

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
nope, directly from the their respective websites (LotRO from the turbine website and STO from the cryptic website). Neither was a torrent download.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask did you have any issues before installing these two MMO's?

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
not specifically, but I have reinstalled the programs at least twice on this particular machine, so if the software is the problem then, I would have to get hard disk for both (which could be a problem for LotRo since I think it is digital download only now).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No what I'm wondering is the possibility of a infection within the game files and that is why it only happens with the games and nothing else.
I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Advertisements

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Alright, sounds good. Once again, thank you for your diligant help with my issues shaffer. If you guys are involved in some kind of voting site for promotion lemme know and I will definently vote positively as much as they'll let me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure what you mean by voting. :D
I don't mind the work and we are at a point of checking every option now so that is why I suggest have the system checked for a possible infection. ;)