Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD Imaging?

• Please log in to reply

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
So I finally made the switch to Win7, and I want to create a backup image of my C: partition.

I took a look around on the 'net and as usual, there are quite a few options.

I was thinking of grabbing one of the listed HERE.

I had heard that Acronis was supposed to be the bomb, but it is only a trial version and a lot of the reviews are rather scathing...

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Acronis
Paragon
DriveImageXML

That would be the order I would suggest. Acronis is one we suggest a lot and it seems to be the one that works the best.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Ok thanks. I'll give Acronis a spin then. Downloading now. I'll let you know how it turns out :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good luck :D

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I made an image on my external HD and burned a boot cd.

The boot cd works and sees my external and the image, so I should be good to go then :D

The only thing I'm not real sure about is the integrity of the image.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now that I would imagine the only way to know is to try and use it to reload the system.
If it completed successfully I would say it did what it's suppose to do.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Ah, I wouldn't lose anything waaaay to important :D I've got other backups.

Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK great to hear and glad I could help you out. ;) ;) :D

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
HDClone. Has a free version. I purchased the "Standard" license and have used it plenty, works fantastic.

Matriculated

Matriculated

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

The only thing I'm not real sure about is the integrity of the image.

Though this is a little late, best practice for HDD imaging is to check image integrity by using "integrity verification" after creation. When backing up using Acronis, always select under "Required Steps:" section, "Backup Options", "Additional Settings", tick "Validate backup archive when it is created". This performs a hash function (MD5 I believe) for checksum comparison verification. This will alert you, after creation, if there is any disparity between the object hash and image hash (you can also perform this after image creation under "Operations" then "Validate Backup Archive").
The majority of imaging software has this function. I prefer Acronis (have used it for many years (paid version); had a problem with the Trial software though) but for a freeware variant Macrium Reflect is excellent. Macrium's real-time backup allows for imaging active OS HDD (via MS Volume Shadow Copy), which I've used remotely to backup a system pre- and post malware remediation.

*Edited for missing word Posted Image

Edited by Matriculated, 28 January 2011 - 08:51 AM.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
http://windows.micro...tings-and-files
http://www.microsoft...nd-restore.aspx

Windows 7 allows you to create images. The target partition should be NTFS formatted.

IME, it works well enough for the average user. dd is a good option for the Linux or *BSD user.

DonSwin

DonSwin

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Read Matriculated's post #10 again. Verification is not prechecked when you create an Acronis backup and is critical to assuring your backup will restore. It adds time to the process but is well worth it.

I've used Acronis for many years. I particularly like the ability to browse a backup image for a specific file without having to restore the entire image. Other software may offer the same thing, but I haven't used anything else in a long time.