Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unmountable disk volume

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok here is my strange issue. I have a toshiba satellite laptop.. windows 7 64 bit. Satellite L655D-S5066
So the issue is i power it on, then it goes to the screen which says windows failed to strt. A recent hardward or software change might be the cause... blah blah. So i choose launch repair.. it launches the files, then all i get is a black screen with the mouse cursor, and nothing else...If i choose start windows normally, i get the starting windows image(stays here for about 1 minute then reboots)...i try safe mode with command prompot.. it loads the windows files, stays on the screen for about 30 seconds, then restarts
I went into debugging mode.. it starts up windows, with the same starting windows image.. sits there for about 1 minute then restarts..
so then i chose the option which disabled automatic restart..
so then i got the error message.. unmountable_boot_volume..
so then i made a 64 bit windows 7 recovery disk and tried to use it..
i was able to boot from the cd.. it said loading files as usual, then again, went to the black screen with the mouse cursor..
any suggestions??

I am guessing its somethign to do with the Hard drive... do i have to try to run a diagnostic on the Hard drive?

So I found out the type of harddrive that is within in the laptop and I found out that toshiba does not make any diagnostic tools for it.
So now I am back to square one or can I use another type of diagnostic tool??

http://www.tigerdire...291686&csid=_23

Edited by mrq201, 11 December 2010 - 04:41 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You can use "Seagate SeaTools for DOS" to test any brand of drive generically:
http://www.seagate.c...ols/seatooldreg

Using a working PC, burn the ISO file to a CD using 'Nero' or similar burning software which can burn ISO files to a disc.
The resulting CD will be bootable. Boot your Toshiba laptop from that CD to test the drive.