Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

5 in 1 card reader not working

• Please log in to reply

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Just wondering if someone might be able to help me with some troubleshooting ideas on a 5 in 1 card reader that stopped working recently.

A lady from my church asked me to look at it, but I haven't been able to figure it out so far. Apparently the internal reader stopped working about a week ago. It is an internal card reader on a HP a1630n desktop running XP home SP3. The motherboard has been replaced on it several years ago to a Gigabyte M61PME-S2P.

There is no problems showing up in Device Manager, but I do not see the card reader listed in Device manager either under the USB or disk drive trees.
The drive letters for each card reader slot are not showing up under my computer either. This makes me think Windows doesn't see the device.

The USB slot on the reader does work, but nothing happens when plugging in cards to the slots. I tried different cards and formats. xd, sd etc. I looked in the tower and reset the cable on the USB 2.0 connection on the motherboard. It looked like there is only one cable for the device so how come the USB slot works but not the card reader ones?

I used the Gigabyte disc utility to confirm that the driver for the card reader was installed and even tried uninstalling then reinstalling all usb drivers.

I tried System Restore and also made sure the card reader service was running.

I did find another post here that seemed to have the same type problem. I will try Samm's solution when I get access to the computer again.

Any other suggestions guys?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try the card reader on another machine.
If the same behaviour occurs on multiple machines it can only be an issue with the reader, and for the cost of them these days if the unit is faulty it may be better to just replace the reader.

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Neil,
Thanks for the advice. I will try that as a last resort.

Mdenton45

Mdenton45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well,
I tried the advice Samm had given in the post I linked to and that fixed it for anyone else reading this.

• Shut down the PC
  • On the rear of the PCs power supply is a little black power switch - turn this switch off but leave the system connected to the mains.
  • Press & hold the power switch on the front of the case for about 45 seconds.
  • Release the power switch, turn the rear power switch back on & start the computer up.

Thanks