Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Is Dieing a Slow Death

• Please log in to reply

BaillieMk.2

BaillieMk.2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
[bleep] :D

So I should be in the market for a new drive. That's not such a big deal since I have all of my media on the external.

Hey, can you give me any advice on solid-state drives? Are they significantly faster or more expensive?

Thanks a lot!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Hey, can you give me any advice on solid-state drives? Are they significantly faster or more expensive?

Faster yes.
More expensive definitely.
NewEgg page with all their SSD's.
TigerDirect shows only 2.5" drives.
Best Buy

BaillieMk.2

BaillieMk.2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Man, these things are even more expensive than I thought.

Theoretically, if I did get one of these, would I have any compatibility issues to worry about? It would work fine with any RAM / Motherboard right?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep just the expense to buy.
What capacity were you looking at to buy or even better what is your budget for a drive?
Now to give you something to think about. You can get a 500 gb SATA drive HERE that is NOT SSD for 45USD with FREE SHIPPING.

BaillieMk.2

BaillieMk.2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well, I have my 1 tb external, which I can use to store the bulk of my data. I'd just use the SSD for programs and applications. So I think I could probably get away with a drive in the 240 gb range. I'm guessing that would run me about 500 dollars, yeah?

Then again a standard HDD is practically free by comparison.

Basically what I'm wondering is, is it that much faster that it would justify the price? I would be willing to pay that if it had a universal effect on the speed of my rig.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Basically what I'm wondering is, is it that much faster that it would justify the price? I would be willing to pay that if it had a universal effect on the speed of my rig.

IMHO I would not and will not pay that for a drive. ;)
I can't justify the price regardless of the speed difference. As you can see HERE a 250Gb drive is only 3 dollars cheaper and it includes free shipping.
For the 3 dollars I would purchase the 500Gb and therefor be able to install more programs.
Keeping your data on the external is a great ideal. Programs can be reloaded but data once gone is gone. :D

BaillieMk.2

BaillieMk.2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Alright thanks for all the advice!

Just one last thing, it's an unrelated problem: My monitor recently cracked and I'm trying to connect my PC to a TV until I can get a new one. The TV is a Sanyo, and has a VGA port, but when I plug my PC in it goes from NO SIGNAL to NO SUPPORT.

I've run this computer off of TV's before, but never this one. Is there anything I can do about this, or is the TV just not compatible?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I;m not real up on the tv stuff, It may not be a supported tv. I would suggest starting a new topic in this same forum just on the tv issue.