Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is burning

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look if you don't want to mount it in the system that is fine.
Once you transfer the data then verify the data is good and then format the drive.
Then take the drive out if you want.
The whole suggestion was to say then you would have a second hd in your system to have more space to put data on.
It's up to you. If you want to use it as a external drive then purchase a external enclosure and then do the data transfer, format and use it that way if you like.

Advertisements

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
i have to format the drive after i transfer the data?
can i still use the second hd in my system to have more space to put data one without formatting it?
so in essence, whats the difference between transferring the data via an enclosure kit or attaching it to the cpu?
thanks

Edited by hospitaldoctor, 29 December 2010 - 05:30 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being in a external enclosure means the drive becomes a mobile hd. You can use it on any system then basically to move data back and forth between systems.
Putting it in the system just means it is installed internally and would be seen as the second hd in the system all the time.
Formatting is the act of erasing all data on the drive but allows you to have the complete free space for you to use as data backup if you want or to put saved data on it.
All you are doing is erasing the data that is currently on it to open all the space on the drive.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
ok so can i just transfer the data now internally and figure out the other stuff later?
i mean, for now, just transfer the data from the old hd to the new hd, without the enclosure kit, and then later, make up mind if i want to mount it permamently and format it and everything.... do i have to decide everything before i transfer the data?

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
ok so can i just transfer the data now internally and figure out the other stuff later?
i mean, for now, just transfer the data from the old hd to the new hd, without the enclosure kit, and then later, make up mind if i want to mount it permamently and format it and everything.... do i have to decide everything before i transfer the data?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Transfer the data first. :D
:cool:Then it is up to you if you want a drive you can take anywhere then you need a external enclosure.
If you want added drive space for your system then mount it internally. ;)
You don't format until your data is moved over. ;)
Once the data is moved over then you can start working on reinstalling all your programs.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
ok thanks
so what do i do?

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
how do i transfer the data exactly please?

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
also, this computer is VERY loud... i get scared that it is going to blow up or something since it is so loud... like the fans spin at very high speeds every 2 minutes.... is it due to the low grade PSU? how can this issue be fixed?
thanks

Edited by hospitaldoctor, 29 December 2010 - 07:15 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK take a look at this video HERE
Though it looks like it was done using a Vista or Win7 system the steps are exactly the same for any system.
You open to My Computer windows.
One will have the New Hard in it and the other will have the Old Hard showing in it.
Drag and drop folders from the old one to the new one and the files will be copied over.

Advertisements

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
thanks, sorry, could you please be more specific.... how do i install the other hard drive and everything... how do i get to that first step?
i have no idea....
thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You still haven't said how you want to do it.
Internally or externally.
It makes a difference how we proceed.
Internally you are going to have to open the system up and connect things inside.
I need to know if the drive is a IDE or a SATA drive.
Below is the two types of drives and how they connect.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Yes, Id like to do it internally... and i will figure out the other stuff later....
isnt that what i asked?
i want to transfer it internally for now... then i will decide about the permament mounting and formatting later... can i do that
it is a sata drive

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then you need to open the system up and attach the old drive using the SATA cable you have hopefully and a power connection from the PSU.
The SATA cable will be the red cable on the bottom picture and the power is the multi colored cable.
Once connected to the HD then you will have to attach the other end of the SATA cable to a open SATA port on the MOBO.

MAKE SURE THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN TURNED OFF AND DISCONNECTED FROM POWER BEFORE DOING ANY OF THE ABOVE STEPS

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
sorry, i dont understand... do i have enough wires for that
how do i attach the same wires to both hard drives?
sorry, could you please elaborate
thanks