Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer is burning

• Please log in to reply

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
I am pretty sure it will come with Windows

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK well we wait for you to receive it and then continue from there.
If it does then we will have to transfer the data over. You will have to reinstall any programs you have.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
do i need an external hard drive or something? i dont have any of that...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If there is a OS already installed then all we have to do is connect the old hd as a 2nd drive and then copy the data over.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Instead of copying data over... just swap the drives and be done with it?

Sounds like something I would do. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That will work as long as the refurb system has the exact same drive in it. :D
If it is factory setup then yes it should have the exact same hd in it. We should have sound back also since the correct driver has already been installed.
It would also help if Dell would send a Drivers disk with the system ;)

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Am I allowed to just switch the two hard drives? Put the new hard drive in the new computer and put the new hard drive in the old one (the one I ship back to dell)?
or how do i completely destroy the hard drive so that dell/new user does not have access to my data? ive heard that wiping it isnt even really enough...
dell claims they are going to ship me a refurbished dell xps 8100 tower with the same specs... thoughts?
thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

dell claims they are going to ship me a refurbished dell xps 8100 tower with the same specs... thoughts?

Again are they going to preload it with a OS or not?

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
yes, sorry, windows 7 64bit
dell said i can pay $75 and keep my old hard drive... can i use the old hard drive on the new system? is it compatible? that way i do not have to transfer all the data and i can keep my programs
or perhaps i can connect both hard drives to the new refurbished computer and use them both simultanously? how does that work exactly?
thanks

Edited by hospitaldoctor, 23 December 2010 - 12:52 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you can use both drives as the mobo's should be the same so the drives should work with no problem.
Now the problem is to get your programs all to work you would have to switch the drive that comes with the system with the drive from your system. Then you set the new drive up as the second drive.
This would allow all your programs and data to be use just like always.

The next issue is that you would have to format the new drive thus erasing the Win7 off that drive.

Advertisements

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
why do i have to wipe the new drive of windows 7?
i am reading that the dell xps 8100 has a very weak power supply... 350watt
what can i do to try my best and to prevent the same problem from happening again? should i get a better power surge protector or something?
http://compreviews.a...io-XPS-8100.htm

also, would it be better to use my old hard drive as an external hard drive, in that case i can still use the new hard drive as fit, and id only go back to the old hard drive when i need to use my programs. how is that possible? which way is better?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can only have one OS drive running unless you setup a dual boot system.
In order to do that with two drives already setup with a OS you would have to change the boot sequence everytime you want to use the other drive. Then change it back to the other drive when you are done.
Your options are to copy all data over to the new drive and the reinstall all your programs.
Use original drive as main drive and format new drive. Use it as the second drive then.
Setup a dual boot as I described above with changing boot sequence.
350 watt is low compared to today's standards.
I myself don't put anything less then a 00 watt PSU in any system I build.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
so if 350 watt is low, what precautions can i take in order to prevent the same situation? how can i prevent it from burning or whatever else that may occur? should i buy a good power surge protector? any insights please?
also, can i use my old hard drive as an external hard drive, where i can still use the new hard drive, and id only use the old hard drive (as an external) when i need to use those specific programs... can i buy a specific adapater to convert the old hard drive into a external hard drive? is that possible?
thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

so if 350 watt is low, what precautions can i take in order to prevent the same situation? how can i prevent it from burning or whatever else that may occur? should i buy a good power surge protector? any insights please?

A good Surge protector may help but the main problem is the PSU itself. It is most likely a off brand and cheaply made.

also, can i use my old hard drive as an external hard drive, where i can still use the new hard drive, and id only use the old hard drive (as an external) when i need to use those specific programs.

You can use the old hard drive as a external but you are not understanding the reality of the programs themselves. In order for a program to function when it is installed it writes to the registry of the OS drive. Since what you are saying is using the new hd as the main OS drive them the programs need to be reinstalled in order for them to work.
If you use the old hd as the main OS drive then all your programs and data will be working. Then you use the new hd as the external.
Either way one drive will need to be formatted.

can i buy a specific adapater to convert the old hard drive into a external hard drive? is that possible?

What you need to purchase is a [b]external hard drive enclosure like these HERE

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
if you were me, which option is the best to utilize? transfer the data to the new one?
use the new hd as an external? which way is best? most efficient?
thanks