Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer is burning

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I myself would just transfer the data, reinstall the programs and use the original hd as the external or second internal hd.

Advertisements

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
ok great so lets do that please
how do you recall all the programs you used to have?
hopefully i can transfer the keys from the programs or something. i have to contact the sellers.
how can i make sure there are no viruses on my old hd before i transfer the data? i want to double check the old hd is 100% clean before transferring. i dont want there to be any "baggage" from the old hd to the new hd.
the new system should arrive within 2 weeks...
thanks a lot

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

how do you recall all the programs you used to have?

I don't know what you mean by recall the programs. You have to reinstall them.
Data can be moved but programs have to be reinstalled. What programs are you talking about?

how can i make sure there are no viruses on my old hd before i transfer the data? i want to double check the old hd is 100%

You can't do this until the system is back up and running. Then you will have to go the malware forum to have them do the scans they need to check everything.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
sorry, i meant how do you remember which programs you need to install again on your new computer... how does one remember which programs he/she used to use? i can do a complete virus scan on the old hd before transferring the data to the new hd?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i can do a complete virus scan on the old hd before transferring the data to the new hd?

Yes but I can't help with that part. Only the malware techs can assist you with that.

i meant how do you remember which programs you need to install again on your new computer... how does one remember which programs he/she used to use?

That is something only you can tell me.
I know I have my internet browser, open office suite, my vlc movie player....You know what programs you use don't you?
I can't tell you what you have installed without running a program to see what is installed. Wait didn't I have you run PC Pitstop way back?
I should be able to find them there. Give me a bit and i will go through everything again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you go back to post 35 you can look through it and find some of the programs you had installed.
I see a lot there you might be able to write down and when the new system is up and running you can reinstall them.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
ok very good idea, i appreciate it... thanks a lot
so the next step is just to wait for the new computer? i will let you know when it arrives.
thanks a lot

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
are you talking about post #35?
i dont see a lot of the programs i have on my computer on that list. i know i have other programs which arent listed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Unless the system will start or until you get the new system you will have to write down the ones you remember and then when the new system gets here we can check the old hd and get a list of programs then.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
i currently have a netbook (mini laptop) in my possession... can i conduct a virus scan on the old hard drive (the hd from the failed PSU syste) with it? thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope not without being able to hook the old hd up and the only way you can do that is to have a external enclosure for the hd and then connecting it via usb connection to the netbook.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
so what precautions can i take for the refurbished computer so the same situation does not occur? i really dont want for this whole scenario to happen again.... anything i can do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All the precautions in the cannot stop a defective or cheaply made part from failing.
Eventually parts will fail as they are simply a mechanical components.
I have had brand new parts fail. For instance my brand new system I just built last January. I ordered 3 hard drives and one was dead when I installed it.
Nobody can guarantee it will not happen.
Like I said before a good surge protector will help.
Without actually seeing the make and model of the PSU that is installed I can't tell you if it is a reputable and stable brand.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
the refurbished computer being sent to me is intel core i7 and 750 gb hard drive with 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
is the 4 gb ddr3 ram sufficient? will the computer handle it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OMG that's a nice system.
4 gig of memory should handle everything you need it to.
The I7 cpu is fast so now problem there.
750 gig hd is plenty of room.
Still no word on if there is a OS installed or not though huh?