Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Secure Documents on Website

• Please log in to reply

MichelleStimpson

MichelleStimpson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm about to start a subscription-based website using wildapricot.com. I want members to be able to view and print .pdf files that I create, but NOT save a copy. While I realize that some will make hard copies and share them, I don't want the people to ever own the actual material in digital format.

One website has kind of done what I want to do - I can view the file but not print it. I suppose whatever they used can help me, too. Here's the link to the actual page that's similar to what I want (except I would like to allow printing):

http://www.sdlback.c...cago_sample.pdf

When I "tested" their system, I was still able to copy/paste their document into a Word document, but the pictures didn't copy and the document was not formatted properly, which will be good for my purposes.

Thank you soooo much!

Advertisements

MichelleStimpson

MichelleStimpson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry - I actually was able to save a copy when I right-clicked on the document. But, at first glance, it does not "appear" that one can copy the file, and I do like that appearance, so I'd still like the help. Thanks!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If you allow me to print it, I can print it directly into a PDF file, (to create a copy). I usually use PDF995 but, there are many other 'print-to-pdf' type utilities out there.

If you allow me to view it, I may be able to capture it with FastStone Capture, and then 'print to PDF'.

MichelleStimpson

MichelleStimpson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Good points! Thanks so much! I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Good points! Thanks so much! I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

Only if you think your target audience is going to be smart enough to think of that.

Ultimately... if someone really wanted to get the info, I don't think it's possible to prevent it completely. (How do you prevent someone from performing Print Screens? Sure this may be tedious and impractical, but given enough time and enough motivation, what's stopping someone from just stitching together screen prints of the document?)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
I agree. If it can be seen, (or heard), it can be recorded.

Raikia

Raikia

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
In addition, everyone has forgotten the easiest way to get the PDF. Right click that link in your post and click "Save link as...".

As previously stated, if you allow the user to view or print the PDF, you are also allowing them to own a digital copy. When a user is reading the PDF, it has actually already been downloaded into their temporary internet files (or cache).