Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop unable to enter standby or hibernation mode

• Please log in to reply

makihara

makihara

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hi there,

I have a dell inspiron 6400 laptop with XP SP3

My principle problem is that my computer is unable to go into standby.
THis appears to be possibly related to my wireless network card.

But first, more information about what happens when i select standby:

• my computer appears to go through the normal steps: Windows Blue screen pops up and says "preparing to enter standby mode" and then the screen goes blank almost instantly.
  • However the power light does not fluctaute from on to off which is what happens normally in standby. Instead it just stays permanently on.
  • And when i press the power button to reawaken my computer nothing happens. I have to then focibly turn my laptop off by holding the power button.
  • Hibernation also seems to be affected. Blue screen pops up saying that the computer is preparing to hibernate but nothing happens after that.

Secondly I have noticed that i cannot "disable" my wireless network card. When i do, windows explorer crashes and when i go to turn my computer off or restart the laptop gets stuck on the windows blue screen saying that it is "preparing to shutdown". So a reasonably similar problem and i thought they may be connected!?

Any idea what might be happening?

Thank you,
James

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The first thing to try is a clean boot and see if it will go to Standby from there

http://support.micro....com/kb/310353/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 December 2010 - 04:16 PM.

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Thanks for getting back to me.

I did as you said but still the same problem.

Could it be a virus or something else?

thanks again,
james

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Post in error.
Details in 5 below.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 December 2010 - 05:16 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am not, at this stage thinking it is that.
Go My Computer, right click the HDD carrying Windows, normally this one and try this.

DISK CHECK
There are a number of ways of running chkdsk in Windows.
1 Open My Computer, right click the HDD carrying Windows, click Properties
Click the Tools tab
Click Error Checking
Click Check Now
Click to check the box - automatically fix file system errors
Click Start Agree to run on restart and do so.
DO NOT INTERRUPT the chkdsk, doing so may well corrupt the file system, or at worse render the HDD useless.
If you cannot read the results, or have left the computer unattended to complete the check, then go Control Panel, Administrative functions, Event Viewer, Application and scroll down to the Winlogon entry. Double click that entry and you will see the results.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 December 2010 - 05:12 PM.

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I'm not sure if this is the same thing but i did a check disc from a boot CD. A friend said i should try it. Attached is an image of the results.

please let me know if you want me to do what you said as well

thanks,
james

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Before we go any further - what else has been tried please?

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Before we go any further - what else has been tried please?

Just the disk check thing and the clean boot. Nothing else.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is I think more likely a problem related to a program or indeed your anti-virus. Is it AVG by any chance.
Try disabling your anti virus and then go to hibernate

Just to make certain, check for updates on your wireless card.
If you need me to, give me the service tag ID and I will find it for you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 December 2010 - 11:51 AM.

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

It is I think more likely a problem related to a program or indeed your anti-virus. Is it AVG by any chance.
Try disabling your anti virus and then go to hibernate

I disabled the resident shield which as far as im aware is all you can disable. But unfortunately still the same problem

Just to make certain, check for updates on your wireless card.
If you need me to, give me the service tag ID and I will find it for you.

i entered my service tag and downloaded the driver on the dell website. Do i just double click to install it or do i need to uninstall the original driver first?

Thanks for all your help,
James

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The download and installation instructions are on the Dell site.
I cannot advise on your particular case as the intsructions vary according to whether it is an exe file or not.
Certainly do not rely on Windows Update driver. Select Manual, I will choose and point the device to the driver, where ever you have saved it.
You will notice on the Dell site that it advises disablng your anti-virus whilst downloading, as is always done with driver downloads - FROM TRUSTED SITES.

May I presume you have checked your setings in Control Panel and power options. Also go System, Hardware, Device Manager, double click the network adaptor then click Power Management, check the box "allow windows to turn off to save power" and uncheck the box "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby."

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 December 2010 - 05:24 PM.

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hello,

Sorry about the delay over christmas and thanks for helping me so far.

Checked all those options and they're all set to the right things.

Just about to try and reinstall my drivers

will let you know,
And thanks again,
James

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
wow, well that was a huge error.

My computer is a lot more messed up now. THink i'm going to call it quits till i get back to uni and i can grab my XP cd and then i'll do a reinstall.

here's what happened if you can shed any light on it:

went into control panel and tried to remove "intel pro set wireless software" but it crashed. Restarted and tried it again. seemed to work. BUT wait... im still able to go on the internet??? So i go into device manager and click the wireless card and select "uninstall" but device manager crashes. I try to reinstall the pro set wireless driver and it didnt work. I go into safe mode and try to disable the card but device manager is blank???. THis is where my computer started acting strangely. So i go into system restore only to find that my computer has it turned off which i never selected. So not sure about that one. Somehow things seem ok but i dont have a clue whats going on and im finding it hard to explain everything.

Thanks,
James